Kitten is dying, help

*update* The kitten died tonight. * Hello, I searched through many pages, but didn't find what I needed. We brought a feral kitten home last week. It was sick and hungry. It seemed to be doing better, but then this afternoon it went down hill. Tonight it seems certain it won't make it and is in pain. It is too late for a vet. Is there a way to humanly euthanize it? (I don't have a gun available.) I hate to see it suffer. Thank you.
It is very possible the kitten has feline distemper. It is fast moving and deadly. If that is the case there really isn't much that can be done, even by a vet, except for supportive care.

I am so sorry the kitten died. It is always sad to be in the position of watching an animal in the last of its life.

Some advice for next time: vet first. The kitty could be severely dehydrated and a vet can inject fluid subcutaneously and help rehydrate it.

A vet can also evaluate if the kitty has an underlying disease and suggest treatment.

Kitties won’t thrive on cow’s milk. They will be eating and starving at the same time. Luckily kitten formula is readily available. I agree with sugar to stimulate appetite — corn syrup or molasses is especially good.

And in spite of your best efforts it may have not been possible to save her. I lost most of a litter of puppies to herpes because it was too late for them by the time I got them. It was awful so my heart goes out to yours.

:hugs

I am so sorry the kitten died. It is always sad to be in the position of watching an animal in the last of its life.

Some advice for next time: vet first. The kitty could be severely dehydrated and a vet can inject fluid subcutaneously and help rehydrate it.

A vet can also evaluate if the kitty has an underlying disease and suggest treatment.

Kitties won’t thrive on cow’s milk. They will be eating and starving at the same time. Luckily kitten formula is readily available. I agree with sugar to stimulate appetite — corn syrup or molasses is especially good.

And in spite of your best efforts it may have not been possible to save her. I lost most of a litter of puppies to herpes because it was too late for them by the time I got them. It was awful so my heart goes out to yours.

Thank you. Where can you get kitten formula? We still have the kitten's brother. The brother started off healthier. The one who died was in pretty bad shape when we found him.

Yeah a sick kitten needs vet attention ASAP because things can go downhill very quickly for such tiny creatures. Sometimes no matter what you do, they still don't make it though. Thank you for trying, and giving it a safe, comfortable place even for a little while. As soon as you're able, it's important to get the surviving sibling to a vet to make sure he's not showing symptoms of whatever claimed the other kitten. Any idea how old he is?

Yeah a sick kitten needs vet attention ASAP because things can go downhill very quickly for such tiny creatures. Sometimes no matter what you do, they still don't make it though. Thank you for trying, and giving it a safe, comfortable place even for a little while. As soon as you're able, it's important to get the surviving sibling to a vet to make sure he's not showing symptoms of whatever claimed the other kitten. Any idea how old he is?

You can also probably buy formula at the vet’s.

Just a comment. Cow's milk per se is not the problem. It is the fact that kittens and puppies need a food that is far more nutrient dense than whole milk. I have successfully raised kittens on canned milk that was six parts canned milk and one part water with an egg yolk added for protein.

Back
Top Bottom