Kitten question...urgent

saxet

Songster
Jun 2, 2010
TX
So I never wanted cats. But the people half a mile from here moved off (out here in the sticks) and left their cats and so one showed up, pregnant. She has her babies and the rest is history. So feral that I could not catch them but the new generation is taming down. (So I can spay and neuter and place)
One young cat has already succesfully raised a litter and I had seen that she was pregnant again. So she plopped them out this afternoon. Quite literally, I fear. One beyond help, forgotten in the sack (on the porch right next to my roosting ducks) One in the dirt, crying for mommy and later one under a tree somewhere else, afterbirth still attached. The mother did hear the cries and tried to grab an older kitten (6 weeks old) by the neck to take him off? What the?? I 'collected' the lost babies and put them on the porch for her to hopefully find. I do not want nor need more kittens. The one that had been stuck in the sack has since passed. The one with the afterbirth (still) attached is suffering and the crier still cries. I have no clue what to do now. They did not even have colostrum. And I have nothing here to care for them. Do I shove them under the pier and beam house for more safety and in hopes that mommy comes for them? Leave them? (eeek...predators) Take them in? (what are the chances for them? Horrid, right?) Help. I need advice.

You either need to take them in (you can get formula at Walmart) or call animal control to come and get them. Either of those options would be better than just letting them freeze/starve/dehydrate.

Whereabouts are you? If you are in GA, I will help. Otherwise, you need to call Animal COntrol, and make sure they take Momma too. She MUST be spayed. Please don't allow her to bring more kittens into the world.

She won't be back for them. I have ALWAYS had cats around my entire life and she left those kittens to die. You can get the formula, but I warn you... you won't get any sleep because they need at regular CLOSE intervals - even in the night. I would call around and see if there is a vet who can help you or a shelter. If your area is like mine... there is slim chance of such a place helping. More likely a vet would take them in my area than a shelter at that age. In the very least the vet could "put them down" humanely. I know I'll hear it about that one, but that's better than having them suffer to death. Good luck!

No animal control out here. No shelter. Nothing.
sad.png

I should have trapped (and will certainly do so) the mother, since she has been too feral to catch -and spay- otherwise. Okay. So the consensus is that she won't be back? (even when I saw her try to take an older kitten off with her? I had hoped she was just very confused, hence the scattered litter)
I am in Texas MyLittleZoo. Very sweet of you to offer, but a wee bit far, I fear. Let me go to round them up. Praying that mommy has found them. (not that she hadn't had ample time by now..)

She's all screwed up with her hormones. It's a sad thing, but she won't be back. I can help you over the phone / internet to raise them, I'm a high-volume kitty foster home, with mainly bottle kittens that have been dumped / abandoned. I don't sleep much.
smile.png

PM me if you need help. TX is a little too far
roll.png
but I'll do all I can. You don't have many options, sadly. And, tbh, even if you do decide to bottle raise, mortality will be high. Sorry. It's heartbreaking, I know. I have dug waaaaayyyy too many holes.
sad.png

I still wouldn't rule out calling vets. ESPECIALLY if you have a regular one. I have a wonderful vet for my dogs and cats who always takes time to help me as best he can with chickens - he just asks I don't advertise him as a chicken doc because he isnt'. He just has a heart. You may have a vet around who really cares and will help you. My father's vet takes in animals and nurses them all the time, then adopts them out to good homes when they are healthy. If they wanted the money - they would have become doctors. If they love animals, they become vets.
wink.png

Where in Texas?

I also agree that if you can't care for them yourself, call a vet. They generally will take these little guys in.
smile.png

I agree with the other posters - I've done cat rescue for 10 years and raising them from that young is hard but rewarding. There's a lot of good info on the internet on what to do but they do need constant care for a few weeks. The vet suggestion is a good one though many may be reluctant to take full responsibility but maybe can help with the first couple of weeks. Most clinics I know always have vet techs that foster just because they tend to be really nice people!
From a chicken perspective - my 3 cats have no interest in our 4 chickens and they all sort of hang out if that's any consolation.
The problem that you will have (as I'm sure you can guess) is that they will keep breeding if you can't break the cycle now and you will end up with a bigger problem later. Gestation for a cat is about 63 days and they can get pregnant again while nursing. When in the wild, they will also start to breed really young which is very unhealthy for both the mom cat and the kittens. In the past, I've worked out catch & release deals with ferals and the vets to at the very least get them fixed & rabies shots when they are beyond taming for whomever is working with them.
I'm in TN or would help out for sure - I wish you the best and hope you can help these little guys.

Back
Top Bottom