kitty litter for nesting boxes?

ccar2000

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Littlerock, CA
Are there any concerns about using kitty litter in nesting boxes? My chickens keep pooping in their nesting boxes and it would be so much easier to sift kitty litter than it is to sift wood shavings. What else can be done?

I dont think kitty litter would be a good idea. The perfumes and such in the litter would not be good for them at all. As they will inevitably eat some as time goes on. It will also trap moisture and will release it back slowly into the air thus causing the humidity to rise in the coop. If enough aiborn mousture gets into the litter, it will turn as hard as a rock if allowed to freeze. I use hay and straw in mine and really dont have a problem with the poo situation. It sounds like your are spending to much time in the nesting boxes just loafing around, This may be du to the cold weather and boredome. They may just need something to do. ty a treat ball in the corner of the coop or something similar.

I agree. I am not sure what kind of litter you are using but you don't want them to start eating it and for it to build up in their crop and cause impaction.

They really shouldn't be pooping in there. Are they sleeping in the nests or hanging out in them? I would figure out what is happening and prevent it. You may need to block off the boxes at night until they get out of this routine.

Are there any concerns about using kitty litter in nesting boxes? My chickens keep pooping in their nesting boxes and it would be so much easier to sift kitty litter than it is to sift wood shavings. What else can be done?
No, they eat the kitty litter and it gives them the runs. Do not recommend it. Your choice!

Back
Top Bottom