kiwis

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cassie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    My DH brought home a bunch of kiwis. I have never used a kiwi in my life. Any suggestions on what to do with them? I want something that is good and is simple for a reluctant cook to make.

2. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    you could always make strawberries and kiwis. and if u have a juicer strawberry kiwi juice.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Just remember that they are like pineapple, and have an enzyme that will keep protien like jello from jelling. I have no idea what cooked kiwi tastes like, but if you want to add it to jello , then you have to cook it first and destroy the enzyme.
    I like kiwi sliced in half and eat them with a spoon right out of their skin. mmmm.

4. I wash, peel and eat marrie

5. I would slice them up thin, remove the skins (though they are edible!), and would make a country style tart with them...

Make or buy a simple pie crust, roll it out and brush it with some melted butter on a cookie sheet...

Take your thin sliced raw fruit and any others you want to add (strawberries, berries, pears, apples, etc.) and toss them in a bowl with some sugar and cornstarch ( a couple of Tbsp or each, just enough to coat the pieces, the cornstarch with make all the juices jell up some).

Dump the whole shebang into the center of the pie crust and flatten them out some, now roughly fold the edges up over it a little to make a sort of free form pie. Brush some more melted butter on the folded over edges.

Bake the sucker for 15-20 minutes in a 350 oven until edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar or toss a peice into a bowl with a scoop of ice cream on top.

You can also make mini ones. You can use any fruit with this basically, I've been making them for years. A peach one is lovely, as is apples with some cinnamon in the sugar coating mix... Just let your imagination run.

I also think Kiwis are AMAZING raw and by themselves as long as their are ripe.
    When I was a little kid my parents used to take me to this buffet that had kiwis in a light syrup on their salad bar. I would eat plates full and vividly remember making myself sick on them, on more than one occasion! [​IMG]

6. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    They're also good for tenderising a tough cut of meat. Just place slices of kiwi over the raw meat and leave for a couple of hours.

Kiwi is also good if you suffer occasional bouts of constipation. A kiwi a day will move things right along - especially if you eat the (washed) skin, too.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I make a fruit & pudding pie for potlucks and other occasions. Take a pre-cooked pie crust (I use graham-cracker), in a separate bowl mix two packs of instant vanilla or chocolate pudding with enough milk for only one package. Stir until smooth, pour into crust and top with chopped fruit. For color variety, I like cut strawberries, kiwi, blueberries and sometimes raspberries, blackberries, pineapple or grapes, depending on what's in season.

My daughter loves them sliced.

Has anyone had any luck dehydrating kiwis?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by