Knee Injury

Maybe someone can spot something in these pics I haven't noticed. The swelling is very hard and when the bird was alive very warm. The bird could not stand on the leg and was in a lot of pain. The first incision is around and through the swollen area. The yellow in the center is very hard and crunchy, I believe it is calcium. The white under the skin is very much like gristle. I cut through the bone in the middle of the swollen area. This is the second cut through the bone. It appears to me that the bird had a green fracture that was mending or growing out of control.
From my observations, the lower dissection pics of the knee area, it looks like the joint that keeps the tendon in its channel failed and it started a repair with the tendon on the outside, thus all the calcium growth. That bird was only going to get worse. Good decision. Gerald Barker

From my observations, the lower dissection pics of the knee area, it looks like the joint that keeps the tendon in its channel failed and it started a repair with the tendon on the outside, thus all the calcium growth. That bird was only going to get worse. Good decision.

Gerald Barker

The cut through the bone is at almost one inch below the knee.

Tophaceous gout, pseudogout, septic arthritis. These are human diseases that can occur with symptoms of hard swollen painful warm/hot knee joints but maybe peafowl can get them too. They first two leave hard crystal or calcium deposits. gout can caused by kidney disease, which may have led to kidney failure and death. septic arthritis is a bacterial infection of the joint and seems most easily and quickly to led to death without treatment. A good option is to check out a comprehensive veterinary poultry diseases handbook for joint/leg swelling problems.

@KsKingBee You mentioned a sinus infection outbreak.

Boom.

From http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=3314
Quote:
Quote:
Unlike people, it is normal for birds to produce large amounts of uric acid. As I mentioned, the source of that uric acid is the protein the bird consumes in its diet as well as recycled proteins that are part of its body. When gout occurs in a bird, it is due to a loss of kidney function, that is, the destruction of the bird’s ability to flush its normal high uric acid level from its body. If uric acid cannot leave your bird’s body fast enough through its kidneys, it will fall out of solution in tissues throughout its body.
Quote:
I highly recommend you read the second link going into gout caused by high protein/low fiber in todays commercial poultry diets. Extremely informative.

Last edited:
@KsKingBee another thing to keep in mind is that he could of had an earlier open wound in the area that healed and any open wounds near a moving joint should always be treated if its detected early. Bacteria will have an open path to the interior workings of the joint and infection can set in pretty fast. Early discovery is difficult with birds though. This applies to humans as well,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

Quote:
Sorry Casportpony. You had sent me a link to this thread and for some reason it brought me to page one, without the option to continue to page 2 & 3, so I didn't know those pages existed. So I posted something that didn't really apply after I hit "submit" and pages 2 & 3 came up. Then I tried to cancel my post, but it wouldn't let me. It said I couldn't cancel, and I couldn't just edit and repost a blank comment, so I posted a single digit and hoped no one would notice.

Well I'm just curious as to what you think about it, because I've never seen the inside of a joint that looked like that.
big_smile.png
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom