knives for slaughter

This reminds me a bit, now that I think of it, of a story told by my Chinese (like, visiting from China) tai chi instructor a few years ago.

I can't tell it properly of course but it boils down to something like this:

A lousy butcher sharpens his knife many times a day and buys a new one frequently.

A good butcher sharpens his knife once a day and buys a new one every few years.

The best butcher in the kingdom sharpens his knife occasionally and only ever has to own one knife his whole long lifetime.

The point being that if you work WITH the natural tendencies of the carcass you do not need to use force or beat up yer knife.

Of course this was all meant as a fancy analogy about tai chi and life and all that, but, it is pretty much true at a literal level also <g>

Pat

Last edited:
patandchickens,
I would like to thank you for thinking I have a fancy knife. As I stated before, I have had this knife for well over 30+ years. To me the only fancy part about this knife is the leather sheath. It comes in handy when I am out in the field with it. I personally don’t think it is to “wise” to have an unsheathed knife while in the field. In the field, as in hunting, fishing, camping and or hiking. I have processed many animals with this knife. When I bought it, 30+ years ago, I don’t believe it cost as much as it does today.

It seems I use the same method as you do for birds. Sometimes, depending on the type of bird, I’ll fillet the breasts out and disjoint the thighs and legs. Now with other animals it is something different. I split the chest, from the bottom of the chest bone to the throat. To me, this aids in cooling the meat fast and makes it easier for gutting. I'll remove the meat from the bone most of the time. Sometimes I have hung deer so long, you really didn't use your knife all that often. I have been doing this for many years. I'll use a hacksaw if I want bones in the meat (ribs, neck roast etc.). I also know a gentleman who wouldn't eat a duck until the feathers started falling off. I don't nor do I need to sharpen the knife every time I use it. I don't use the knife to pry, hammer, or use as a screw driver, so maybe I do pamper it a bit which might make it a "fancy" knife.

My knife has many more years ahead of it. The reason I would like to get another one for fear that they would discontinue making them. Like I said, 30+ years and still in service. Also based on the cost of $34.67 to replace it and I had mine for 30+ years, the cost so far is about $1.16 per year.

We have multiple kitchen knives, but I believe in using the appropriate tool for the job. Could I use the kitchen knives, yes I could. Would I take a unsheathed knife out into the field, nope. This knife is comfortable in my hand, the blade fits the length on my pointer finger. To me, this is another nice feature when you can't see the blade.

Quote:
Yeah, shipping can be a poisoned pill unless you need enough stuff to offset shipping. I have seen the Victorinox knife at local kitchen shops for about $8.

Quote:
My DW has a really bad habit of using "any knife in the kitchen" to open UPS boxes, prune trees, cut up boxes for recycle, open things wrapped in those impossible heat-sealed plastic shells, chop wood, cut-off old muffler from the car... or just about anything except food preparation. I typically do the food prep and can't find a sharp knife anywhere in the house.
sad.png

As a result, I now own three of my own knives that are stored in the back room where they are "out of sight, out of mind"... those are the only three sharp knives in the entire house.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom