Moved Installing Fans to the Top of the List

pcgboca

Chirping
Sep 12, 2023
Moved Installing Fans to the Top of the List. Not sure how hot is too hot - in my case the flock has free reign over the coop and being inside, the run underneath the coop which is small (18 sq ft) and the attached run (10x12) which offers much shade and a cool breeze.

Until I can get a more sophisticated solution I am putting a thermometer in front of the camera for monitoring. I can see it at various times of the day and keep track like today which is hot and it shows it at 89 in the coop. I can also set an alarm and the thermo will beep like crazy and the camera will pick that noise up and send me an alert. Currently that alarm is set high at 99 degrees. Any thoughts on "Max Coop Temp" if there is such a thing? I wanted to lower that to like 92 degrees for the alarm?

End game is I will get a triangle shade setup to shield the coop from the morning and mid day sun. That should help as well.

here is the fan I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZRKTBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I will cover the outside hole with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Vent-Systems...words=Vent+Systems&qid=1694629507&sr=8-6&th=1

The coop is small and i only have 4 birds. but I want to give them mucho space and cool air and water of course. Hope this helps and I went for a quiet fan which I may just leave running 24-7 as opposed to turning it on/off but I have multi-channel 120V control - i can plug this lightweight thing directly into my wi-fi switched outlets and turn on in AM and off late at night. In the end I think if they are quiet it will be running 24-7 to keep simple and if the coop needs it I will add a second fan on the opposing side to the first one. I like to try one first and then circle back, not sure i even will need 2 with such a small coop. I will post follow up here after testing. Keep spoiling my chickens. :cool:

1694630586808.png

The general guideline is that the coop should not exceed the temp or humidity of the outside environment. With access to run or range, they spend little time in the coop during the day.

As to the fan, I would not consider that one safe for outdoor/coop use. Look for something "barn" rated.

Back
Top Bottom