Solar power to run heated water drinkers, electric perimeter wire, and coop door.

Hi all,

I’ve read all the posts about the dangers and cons of using extension cords to power coops. I’ve also read some posts about installing solar panels. I’m hoping to go off grid with our 2 coops and hoping I can get some advice. First, we have a few things that need to be powered:

*100 watt heated waterer - (winter only)
*Two 15 watt heated waterers (winter only)
*1 coop door time - 1 watt per hour for 24 watts
* hot wire for fence perimeter - about 5 watts
* 5 small fans each at about 39 watts each

So around 340 watts if my math is correct. I am no electrician and when it comes to this stuff, my eyes begin to cross and my nose bleeds. Even though I am not running all items at once depending on the season, does it make sense to go with a 400 watt solar panel with s battery backup? Thanks for any and all advice.
Hi,

Did you find a solution? i am having the same issue this year- upstate NY. I looked into solar but just to keep one water 80watts going it would cost about $2,500 for the equiptment.

Thank you!

Hi,

Did you find a solution? i am having the same issue this year- upstate NY. I looked into solar but just to keep one water 80watts going it would cost about $2,500 for the equiptment.

Thank you!
There's no way a solar and battery solution for 80 watts costs $2,500. This should be operable under a 200w panel (~$200), 30A charge controller ($150), and a 100AH deep cycle marine battery ($370), add another $50 for miscellaneous connectors, wire and accessories. We're looking at well under $1000 and IMO this is over designed for an 80W draw and could maybe run the OP's requirements depending on their location.

How did you determine you need $2,500 solar setup for an 80w water heater? Is your water heater thermostatically controlled. Keep in mind there's a dramatic difference between power requirements for a constant 80 watt draw than for an intermittent 80 watt draw like you'll see on most water heaters.

Solar can't hold a match to grid power if you're looking for affordability. If a few hundred dollars is above your budget, buy an extension cord. You can buy 100ft of 10ga extension cord for under $300. If you value mobility and convenience and are willing to pay for it solar+battery is nice.

Last edited:
I'll add that IMO replacing an extension cord with a solar + battery intallation doesn't really meaningfully negate risk of fire. The risk of fire is caused by having electricity in or on the coop. Whether it arrives from the grid or from a battery is in effect irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom