Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

Out working on it today, quick update and I will get out and work some more. Framing up the side walls, and having fun making sawdust. I am using screws throughout, makes mods in the future simpler.

Back to it!

Last edited:
Gotta like screws for sure. I had one minor miss when I checked to see if the two opposite walls I was framing up were identical L/R parts, but a quick trim after unscrewing one board fixed it. I now have two walls for the run framed and ready to stand up. I am going to paint the ends that are exposed once the rough framing is done. The entire run is going to be under a solid metal roof so it will be staying mostly dry, save for some wind blown stuff.

Talking about windblown, it has been a windy, rainy gloomy day. So glad I had cover to work under!

Photos, of course!

The board that is standing is propping up the tarp so rain doesn't puddle.

Matching up the two walls

Everything is within my 1/8" tolerance!

What is it called when you do that notch thing with the boards? Two boards next to each other have pieces cut out and then a post is slid into that part?

Another busy day working on the coop. I have framed up the walls and set them up. Now taking a break, enjoying a sammy, and checking out BYC. Everything is going together as planned, Glad to have the construction on the foundation, finally. Next step is to stake the walls down in two places, each wall. I am going to use the rebar for stakes, with about 2 ft in the ground. Hopefully I am lucky enough to get them pounded all the way in without smacking a rock on the way down.

You know whats next.........

Two side walls framed and leaning on house:

Framed part for under the coop:

Wall with door opening on right, leaning on fence ready for assembly:

Three walls assembled:

All four walls on the foundation:

A look at the door opening:

Last angle:

This morning I pounded the 2 1/2 ft rebar stakes into the ground and screwed them to the sill plates. Spent most of the day working on the framing. The coop is framed and the rafters are installed. Lots and lots of screws. Had to come in when it got stormy and rainy, but the day itself was mostly dry. I was having fun controlling the tarp with all the wind we have had. At one point a bungee cord got launched into my neighbors yard when it snapped off during a hard gust.

Photo train!

Rebar stakes:

Framing the coop:

Rafters installed

Rafters and coop together

Back
Top Bottom