Knots on neck, hen acting very lethargic

Akchickenlova

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
My one- year old hen has two large knots on her neck that I discovered two days ago. They have a scab in the middle of them, and they aren't oozing or anything. She can't walk very easily and loses her balance, and she twists her neck around and shakes her head when she tries to eat. I haven't seen her drink anything either.

I'm not sure what to do for her, or what caused these knots.. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated

I really don't know what it is unless it is a pecking injury, a bite from an animal, or just an injury. I would spray some Blu-Kote on it to keep the others from pecking it. It's hard to say if it is related to her balance and poor appetite, but could be. I would be wetting her food down with a bit of yogurt and water to encourage her to eat and drink. Maybe add some vitamin/electrolytes to food or water. She should be islolated for rest until you are sure what is going on. Maybe just observe her with the others for a bit until you isolate her to find out if she is being attacked by the chickens..

She has three chicks that are one month old that she hatched out, so we've had her separated from the rest of the flock for about five weeks. I'm not sure what could've bitten her. Do I need to separate her from her chicks, in case its something contagious? And I've been researching what might have caused the knots. Could a chicken get a warble fly larvae under its skin?

Thanks for the advice
smile.png

It doesn't look contagious, so I wouldn't separate the chicks. Does she have lice or mites that could have caused her to scratch these places on herself? Could she have scratched herself on a nail or something sharp? Maybe a rat bite?

I recently dusted all the chickens for lice, but its possible she could have a rat bite or maybe scratched herself. I know there is a rat living around the chicken house that we haven't caught yet. If it is a rat bite, what could I put on it to help it heal?

I don't use much except Blu-kote and neosporin ointment for wounds. I would be concerned if there are rats that your chicks could be at risk.

Thank you for your help! The cats have killed two rats so far, and we're going to set traps to get rid of them before they cause any more trouble. I can't get any Blu-kote now, so hopefully Neosporin will work.

Thanks again for the advice

Katie&Abbie

Back
Top Bottom