Know of any foragers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FriendlyFlyer, Jul 17, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I posted last night and didn't get anything. But I was wondering if anyone knows some good foraging breeds, bantam or standard size? I would like to get some chickens that are a little more independent than the ones I have. Plus if you know any foragers that are cold hardy that would be extra helpful! Thank you.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Speckled Sussex have been extraordinary foragers. Fascinating enough, most breeds are pretty good foragers if they start early, have lots of practice and are "taught" by good mature foragers. I've even had Black Sex Links and ISA Browns demonstrate good skills.

3. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I agree with the above post that many breeds will do pretty well if they start young. Still they are not all equal. Birds that are assertive, and active make the best foragers. It depends on whether you want DP fowl or not. Not many can beat a flock of games as far as rustling up for themselves. You have to have space to let them range though. The mediteranean breeds are active and assertive foragers. Suprisingly enough the Barred Rock's I got from Kathy are great DP foragers. They are said to be good broodies, lay well, and they are definately a good meat strain. I think they would make for a great homestead type flock.

4. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! You may be interested in a new to the USA breed called Marraduna Basque or Euskal Oiloa chickens. So far skylinepoultry is selling hatching eggs in mid Aug, you need to get on a list. There is a thread on the Breeds and showing titled :Euskal Oiloa the Basque thread. On that thread you will find pictures and info on the breed. Skylinepoultry has or has had 50 breeds of chickens and he says the EO are the smartest, sweetest and by far the best foragers.[​IMG]

5. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    When my youngster were turned loose to forage, eat grass, or whatever, they had no teacher. The Australorps immediately started foraging and chasing bugs. I can't say the same for my 3 older birds, but I think the rooster has a lot to do with it. The hens seem to go where he takes them.

6. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks a bunch! I guess I thought some breeds were nearly competely dependant on feed so it's nice to know just about any chicken can become a great forager!

7. Redcap Farm

Redcap Farm Derbyshire Redcap Fowl

Feb 11, 2011
    Lawrenceburg,TN
    Hi FriendlyFlyer

Redcaps are some of the best foragers I have ever seen. My Redcaps love going out in the woods or field hunting for bugs and anything else they can find to eat. [​IMG]

Redcap Farm

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Nothing beats OEG and Leghorns at foraging...

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Foragers? These are my best foragers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Pretty funny that all of the breeds mentioned are favorites of the poster's.

But, I'll do the same.... Buckeyes are the most active American breed, and making them terrific foragers. Just ask any Buckeye breeder.
    Here is a post that I found interesting:
    Quote:Also, I keep hearing game breed chickens are great foragers, same for Leghorns. And I've got to agree with Fred's hens post and that I have a bantam chick that was hatched by a broody and I swear it eats barely any food I put out for his family (he's got his father, mother, step-mother that's another story, and another hen in the group). He can get through the fencing so he's pretty much free-ranged.

Mitch
    Edit: found a picture of them ranging in the snow this past winter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by