(KO Shamo) are There any in the U.S ( Who Has Them ?)

Would anyone who knows the breed mind telling me what they see in mine? I'm new to the breed having received two pairs of chicks as a gift over the summer.

I like them very much, wonderful birds to have around as I love their personalities so I don't mind if they're not conformationally perfect, but I don't really know what I'm looking at yet, just trying to learn.

Male #1

Last edited:
To my eye. I like male #1 most of all four. He has decent wing carriage, and stance. They seem like maybe there might have been shamo bantam put in long ago, and it shows in the females head and color, as well as in all of thier tails. They have too long of tails. On a plus note they all have good split wings( make sure to check both wings) showing that they are actually bred with Ko standards in mind. Ko in the US are different than some outside the country. The outsiders have several breeds( tosa chibi, Yamato gunkie, and others) ours seem to have a mixture of these different breeds. On just has to breed for correct qualities

Thanks, I did wonder about their tails. They do have more upright stances in general, but they didn't seem to want to stand up for their pics :) Yes, all the wings are split.

I agree with Cuba. Cuba has seen and held many good/excellent Ko shamo so he has a good eye.

I will add that, even in Japan, there are many forms of the Ko. It depends on the eye and selection of the breeder. But most if not all conform to the accepted Japanese standard.

Your birds look healthy and well cared for, so congratulations on a job well done. On conformation, they look young, but even at a young age one can tell the most upright ones from the bunch. My first cull is at 12 wks for station (vertical stance). So they could be more vertical. Shrimp tails should be short and stubby. Tube tails can be longer but they need to be tube like. Yours seem to have softer/longer feathering. Try breeding for tighter shorter feathers.

The males have nice brows, eye color and almost no wattles. I like their fleshy faces too. I would recommend that you not breed #2 as he has very round shallow shoulders. Ko Shamo should have very distinict wing carriage. The wings should be held up, out and wide.

I know its a lot of information and I apologize if it sounds harsh that was not my intention. I have provide you with a couple photos so you can see what I mean. And, so you dont think i am just trying to me be "mean".

The following are excellent examples of Ko. They are breed & raised by Mrs. Suzann.

Back
Top Bottom