(KO Shamo) are There any in the U.S ( Who Has Them ?)

Just for information

Ko Shamo are a bantam Japanese breed

Shamo are a standard size Japanese breed

Up in the holler,

Your white bird may be a gene gold mine and may be able to provide some genes to diversify your birds. The crow winged male is birchen and could be used to make brown red or self black birds. Cross the brown red male with the black female to get blacks. The red male could be used to make more red birds if you have wheaten females. The female in the back with the brown head appears to be silver wheaten. You could also make some BBR males if the female is wheaten.

If the white female carries the correct genes you may be able to make some dark shamo.

The brown red male has nice mahogany hackles. I do not know if this is a problem with the breed. Brown red standards call for different colored hackles.

If you already know this, disregard the post but others may find it interesting.

Tim

Hi everyone,
i visited a gentlemen who had a nice chicken breeding setup , whos shamos are pictured in chicken calendars , he really really takes time and pride with his chickens. he lives in brooksville florida
he has great prices on them too
he also has the tiniest modern game chickens- adorable!! & beautiful crevecours.
if anyone needs his phone number please pm me. to my knowledge he will not ship chickens.

Quote:
Hey Tim!!
Thanks for the info... my whites are not true white, move of a cream color... But we have three breeding pens set up and have got our first black chicks last week, so happy. We are going to hatch out of them as they are set up and then move them around again to try different combos as we have no idea of the color background that the originals are from.

Not to get off track but in the world of poultry I believe there are a few "Shamo type" fowl;

Nankin Shamo -- Male under 1kg/2.20 lbs, female under 0.75 kg/1.65lbs.
Tuzo -- Male above 1kg/2.20lbs
KO Shamo -- Males 1000g/ 2lb4oz Females 800g/ 1lb12oz
Yamato Gunkei -- Males 2kg/4lb4oz Females 1.7kg/4lb
Chu Shamo -- Males 3kg/ 6.6lbs or above, and under 4kg/8.8lbs. Females 2.25kg/4.9lbs or above, and under 3kg/6.6lbs
O Shamo -- Males 4kg/ 8.8lbs or above. Females 3kg/ 6.6lbs or above.

From what I understand there are some other 'Shamo' type fowl but much much information is available.
The Chibi is one of them.

Chris

Last edited:
I'll also add that The word, “Shamo” is understood to mean “Game bird from Japan” and Ko means miniature.
So Ko Shamo means miniature game, not miniature version of the large fowl.

Chris

Last edited:
We raise KO Shamo and are looking to purchase a cockeral or roo as we only have 2 males and need 1 more for all the pullets, Please let me know if you have 1 for sale, with pictures and prices.

We raise KO Shamo and are looking to purchase a cockeral or roo as we only have 2 males and need 1 more for all the pullets, Please let me know if you have 1 for sale, with pictures and prices.

I just had a bunch of KO babies this week (I do not sale chicks or eggs) but when they get old enough to sex I may let some go.

Last edited:
Just for information

Ko Shamo are a bantam Japanese breed

Shamo are a standard size Japanese breed

Up in the holler,

Your white bird may be a gene gold mine and may be able to provide some genes to diversify your birds. The crow winged male is birchen and could be used to make brown red or self black birds. Cross the brown red male with the black female to get blacks. The red male could be used to make more red birds if you have wheaten females. The female in the back with the brown head appears to be silver wheaten. You could also make some BBR males if the female is wheaten.

If the white female carries the correct genes you may be able to make some dark shamo.

The brown red male has nice mahogany hackles. I do not know if this is a problem with the breed. Brown red standards call for different colored hackles.

If you already know this, disregard the post but others may find it interesting.

Tim

No offence to you specialty in genetics, but Ko's are not nececarily bred for color. A bird externally may look brown red but usually are not. I beleive they are all wheaten based, similarly to cubalayas. The male is just lacking good color on his secondaries. we have many here that most would think were brownred until the bird was bred or you open the wings and look at his colored primaries. There are exceptions to everything. this is from personal experience from showing with +15 plus Ko's present.

You will have to explain to me what you mean by they are not bred for color? Color is very important when you breed birds- so are you saying there are no varieties in Shamo. The APA recognizes three Ko Shamo standard varieties: black, dark and wheaten. I am sure there are others- white, birchen etc.

It is very unusual for a crow winged bird to be wheaten at the E locus. Black birds can be produced on just about any E locus but this is the exception. Outside of university stock black birds usually are birchen or extended black at the E locus- these two loci are normally associated with a black phenotype. There are some commercial birds that are black and brown at the E locus.

I always go with the highest probability of a genotype in a bird and seldom mention the exceptions. Exceptions to the normal rules can be very confusing to the novice.

What happens when you cross a self black male shamo with wheaten female shamo? What is the down color (phenotype) of the F1 offspring and the color (phenotype) of the F1 adults? When you do a sibling ( F1) cross; what are the down phenotypes of the F2 and the F2 adults phenotypes?

Tim

Last edited:
Build a barn then you paint it....

I am unaware of KO Shamo being a recognized breed in the US... much less varieties of them.

We will be letting some of our KOs go, I apologize to all those who have been interested in buying some of them from us, its just been crazy round here lately. No time for picture taking, its nasty cold and I am getting ready for a show. With the show, work and a sick teenager we just have not had time in daylight to get it all done. We will be taking several pairs to the Newnan Ga show this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom