Koekoek chick eye half open

Chick's left eye only half open, what should I do?

• If it doesn't bother the bird, don't let it bother you

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seek medical attention, the bird wont do well

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Country_Boy

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2018
South Africa
Hey guys, we have 17 baby Koekoek chicks and one of them seems to have an issue with its lower eyelid. It's only half-open, would like to know what the thoughts are in a poll. They are all 1-month old, eating well and running around.

Note: I have eased the lower eye-lid down with my finger and the eye seems fine, no signs of trauma or foreign objects. No signs of infection either.

Thank you!
Koek.jpg

Would you post some additional info?

Have you just obtained the chick or had it since birth or a few days old?
Was the eye issue present at birth or has just appeared.

I don't have an answer - but would wonder why the upper lid is also not closed - the upper and lower lids should close together. The lower lid looks a little "puffy" inferiorly, but should be flat?

Would you post some additional info?

Have you just obtained the chick or had it since birth or a few days old?
Was the eye issue present at birth or has just appeared.

I don't have an answer - but would wonder why the upper lid is also not closed - the upper and lower lids should close together. The lower lid looks a little "puffy" inferiorly, but should be flat?
They were 2 weeks old when we picked them up. I didn't notice until the following day when they were out of the boxes. I suspect its been like this since birth. Im just wondering if there's a time-factor as in: If you don't sort it by a certain age you will never sort it. I've heard about eye-drops and a particular powder/dust that can help wanted to ask around. I agree it does look a bit puffy but I haven't found any signs of infection or injury and when I eased the lower eye-lid downwards the pupil immediately constricted, as as a result of the extra light - so I know that part still works :hmm

It could be swollen from a respiratory disease (MG) or from something in the eye. MG can be spread to chicks through a hatching egg or by contact with the organism from carrier birds or contamination. The lower eye may be swollen due to a sinus infection which is common in MG. I would treat the chick with Terramycin eye ointment, a dot applied into eye twice a day.

Do you see any bubbles or drainage that causes the eyelids to stick together? Is there any sneezing or heavy breathing? Is the chick more sleepy than the other? Make sure it is drinking water.

I would treat the chick with Terramycin eye ointment, a dot applied into eye twice a day.
Thank you, I'll look into that! I'm in South Africa so I'll google that ointment. It's pretty much exactly like the other chicks as far as behavior goes and every time I look at the eye it looks clean. I've never seen it sneeze to be honest :hmm

In your area, you may need to obtain an antibiotic eye drop or ointment from a vet. Look at your agricultural supply stores also. Cirofloxacin drops, erythromycin or oxytetracycline eye ointment, or Neosporin eye ointment/drops would work. If you cannot get those apply saline eye drops to flush the eye and clean with cotton or tissue.

Back
Top Bottom