Koi & Goldfish Pond.....

What a beautiful fish pond. I've wanted one all my life. Fond memories of visiting my grandmother and being allowed to walk to park at corner where they had a goldfish pond and sitting there all day watching them and feeding them the bread my grandmother gave me.

We have a large, round brick fountain here that is beautifully stocked with water lillies and water plants galore - too many actually. We need to get the pump and lights replaced and working and then I'm hoping I can add some fish.

Quote:
I'm so sorry, SweetSLady, but I have dial-up and getting a pic on here would take years!!! It wasn't hard to do, but getting the rocks at the right angle to direct the water was a little tricky. I haven't priced the pump yet, that comes next week! Can't wait to hear the water trickling and splashing!

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! I've seen that fountain in one of your pictures Ruth and it would be pretty with fish in it. Palabeco..that picture cracks me up!!!!! That is one mutant goldfish!!! lol!!!

If the rest of ya'll build ponds let me know and I'll try to help you so you can avoid some of the problems I've had
wink.png

I have no room left in my back yard for one!
hit.gif

Yours is beautiful. I have always loved Koi.
Maybe one for the porch??

Alot of time & money...folks do not to go into the backyard pond busiiness without preparing to pay for the up keep...algae killer, chlorine remover, ph balancer, pond clarifier, barley straw and fish food...just tonight...on the other side of that coin are beautiful huge healthy fish that I love to sit and watch and that jump and play in the bubbles of the diffuser and swim lazily all over the pond..expensive..yes..worth it..yes.

Our koi live in our woodland pond, which is quite large and is 3 to 10 feet deep. They breed like crazy, we also have some darts in there and they do, too. Being a woodland pond it has a mud bottom but koi are related to carp I believe so they seem to like it. We had a hard winter a few years back; the coi were unable to winter over and several died at the end of the winter. The largest one who died weighed eight pounds. Earlier this spring I saw at least fifty babies sunning themselves in a sunny patch of water. Ours are very wild though, we have tried several times to get them to come to food, but they will have nothing to do with it. They are long lived too, normally. We have a resident Great Blue Heron but he doesn't seem to like the coi, we watched him trying to swallow one whole once, he was unable to and ended up just pecking a hole in it.

OMG Chicknmania!! That sounds so ideal!!!!! Natural is sooo much better and the koi love the deep water, I could only get mine 20" and I have underlayment and a heavy rubber liner..mud would be better I think. Lucky you!! The koi are beautiful..and if they breed witht he goldfish, if I'm not mistaken they make beautiful fantail babies. Mine need to settle down their hormones, lol!!! I have PLENTY of fish for that pond!! I figure I have at least 80...mostly goldfish...about 16 BIG koi. They are the prettiest by far. You should take some pics when you get a chance..so I can be totally envious, loL!!!
smile.png

I have koi pond envy now. It is beautiful. Do you have raccoons? How do you keep them from eating the fish? When we moved here, we kept our goldfish in a bucket outside until we could set up the aquarium. Went outside to get 'em and they were gone. I have always been afraid to create a pond 'cause of the 'coons.

Back
Top Bottom