Koi & Goldfish Pond.....

Scrambled Egg

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
My fish were so active tonight I thought I would try to get some pictures of them. I wish you could see how huge some of the koi are and seriously every single one of them were $4.99 - 3" specials from Petsmart about this time last year!! The biggest one is at least a foot long and there are about 10 others that are close. The goldfish were 29 cent comets and the biggest one of those is about 6" long now!!
HPIM9064.jpg

HPIM9051.jpg

HPIM9061.jpg

HPIM9063.jpg

HPIM9055.jpg

HPIM9056.jpg

That's exactly what I have in my pond, too, but not nearly as many, as my pond is a bit smaller.

Yup, those 29 cent buggers will get up to a foot long, and the koi are capable of reaching two feet!!!

Lovely pond, lovely landscaping!

Nice!!! I'm jealous of all your plants. We've had our koi pond for a few years, but its not that lush. I need to get more of the annual water plants...
Are all you fish just a year old? Wait until they start breeding. We can't give enough of ours away. Of course the heron helped out last year.
hmm.png

Are ur fish getting cheesy??? (cheetos) LOL

Awesome! My neighbor has some Koi and other assorted fish in a huge pond they jug into the ground. No liner or anything, it is all sand.
So anyhow it's about 15x25x 7ft deep. She has some beautiful ones. They actually wintered over in Alaska! I guess if it deep enough they go dormant until thaw.

They look alot smaller in the pictures than they really are!! That pickerel rush plant was a huige mistake for me too..last year I learned my lesson with the hyacinth and finally got all that thrown out..drop that stuff on Iraq and in a week we would have that war finished off, lol!!! Nothing but kudzu grows that stuff..wheelbarrows full of it I put in my composter!! Now the pickerel rush is growing like mad and I cut it and pull it up and throw it away too...weeds is all they are..fast growing ones!!!!

A backyard pond is beautiful and especially nice to sit in a bench and watch the fish in ....but they are a money pit and a heck of alot of work!!!! I guess nights like tonight they are worth it though, those fish lazily swimming around were really pretty and those koi are so elusive normally I never see them! Thanks Amy for the nice comments
wink.png
Post pics of yours!!

This one is 10'x10'x20"..about 1100 gallons..with a thick liner and underlayment from bestnest.com

Last edited:
OH thats AWESOME I love them - I love the silver/white and orange - very pretty!!!

I thought it was Coi not Koi
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
JUST KIDDING!!!!

I absolutely love that pond and your fish are beautiful!

I would love to have such a wonderful set up someday.

Quote:
LOL!!! I can see that, like jaws skimming the water and scooping up all the goldfish!!! lol!

Wait until they start breeding

The koi have not but the goldsih make babies all the time, I see itty bitty babies alot, look like sticks with eyes, loL!!! I think the koi et them which should keep the population about right. Never had any herons though..hope to not have any either!!

Wildfries!!!
lau.gif

I would love to have such a wonderful set up someday.

Do alot of reading and research..it is sooo not an over night easy thing. I'll help you if you build one but know it isn't a cheap endeavor!!​

Last edited:
So pretty! You have a beautiful pond there. I tried the whole pond with koi too...that went away rather quickly LOL.

With the warm weather here in FL, the water was always turning green, even with the waterfall and filters. Then every few months the frogs would come to town to mate. Wow I had no idea how loud frogs can be, or how many eggs they can lay in a single night!!! The pond is now filled with rocks, but the waterfall still cascades
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom