Kombucha- anybody making it?

I've really come to appreciate the uniqueness of the scoby...my "scotel" contains several scobies that are huge.  The scotel itself is a 2-gallon glass crock, so the scobies have grown from 1-gal sized to 2-gal sized, and over an inch thick.  It's been fascinating watching them grow, but at some point, I have to pull some out and "recycle" them. When they get this thick, it's really tough to cut them, so I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the really large ones.  They may just end up in my compost pile. 

My hens love scobies. I cut them into small pieces with scissors so everybody gets their share and they can easily swallow it. It provides probiotics.

I read about using a seedling mat to maintain the warmth for fermenting. anybody even use "warmers"? the plug in type. I have several of them some evan have "high med and low" one even has a lid a big domed lid...
unfortunateley my oven doesnt have a light switch that stays on without opening the door at least the one upstairs in the kitchen.. for making yogurt etc.
thanks all gotta go and check on my kombucha starting batch goodnite

Last edited:
After several years of trouble free kombucha making one of them got mold -- here it is, if you see this throw the whole thing out. I think this may have been from not enough starter kombucha, or else too weak, making the starting brew not acidic enough.

I read about using a seedling mat to maintain the warmth for fermenting. anybody even use "warmers"? the plug in type. I have several of them some evan have "high med and low" one even has a lid a big domed lid...
unfortunateley my oven doesnt have a light switch that stays on without opening the door at least the one upstairs in the kitchen.. for making yogurt etc.
thanks all gotta go and check on my kombucha starting batch goodnite
My house gets down to 60 degrees Fahrenheit at night. We like the bracing cold. I use the heaters from Kombucha Kamp. They are designed to stand on end around the jar, not under it. The problem with the heating mats, or any kind of heat from the bottom is that it encourages the yeast over the bacteria, which is the opposite of what you want. I like the 7" tall one but it isn't available any more except in the expensive Ferment Friend heater. The manual 4" essential heating strip is $50. You don't need a thermostat. The only way I've found that works is to move the strip closer to or further away from the jar until you get the temperature you want. Those temperature strips are also essential so you know what's going on. They will only stick down once -- can't move them to another surface once they are applied.

Actually you can spend quite a bit of money on tools and still be ahead, considering what the stuff costs in the store. And it's like anything else, it just doesn't compare. Tastes artificial and too sweet. I drink it every day with chia seeds stirred in. And I'm still kicking and getting fiestier by the day.

My house gets down to 60 degrees Fahrenheit at night. We like the bracing cold.  I use the heaters from Kombucha Kamp.  They are designed to stand on end around the jar, not under it.  The problem with the heating mats, or any kind of heat from the bottom is that it encourages the yeast over the bacteria, which is the opposite of what you want.   I like the 7" tall one but it isn't available any more except in the expensive Ferment Friend heater.  The manual 4" essential heating strip is $50.  You don't need a thermostat.  The only way I've found that works is to move the strip closer to or further away from the jar until you get the temperature you want.  Those temperature strips are also essential so you know what's going on.  They will only stick down once -- can't move them to another surface once they are applied.  

Actually you can spend quite a bit of money on tools and still be ahead, considering what the stuff costs in the store.  And it's like anything else, it just doesn't compare.  Tastes artificial and too sweet.  I drink it every day with chia seeds stirred in.  And I'm still kicking and getting fiestier by the day.
I keep my thermostat at 65...not quite as low as yours, but still cool enough that warm clothing is needed (and, occasionally, a scarf). My kombucha's flavor has actually improved with the cooler temps - the fermentation has slowed, so a 14-day first ferment (1F) produces a lovely cider-like beverage with a hint of sweetness. It's so good, I'm actually reluctant to flavor with fresh fruit for 2F! In the summer, it was pretty warm indoors and the KT usually had quite a tang to it; though not unpleasant, there was no detectable residual sweetness.

After making my own KT for several years, the stuff available in stores no longer suits my palate. I generally find it way too vinegary and overly carbonated, plus I like controlling the ingredients from start to finish. IMO, there's nothing better than using fresh, chemical-free ingredients gleaned from your own backyard (when possible).

Up to this point, I've been happy making it in gallon jars but later today, I'm picking up a ceramic crock with a spigot so I can start continuous brewing.
1f601.png

why cant you continous brew in glass large like suntea jar or seen some big say 2 or 3 gallon sized with spigot...?
or what about those bread proofers? saw those when did a search...
plus read great things about water kefir...
Im new at it and cant get mine to be less sweet. as i dont need anymore sugar than what I already consume.
I finally started my own scoby from leftover bought scoby with tea in a quart mason jar.
I was doing it in the big glass pyrex bowl like Betsy Proyer showed in her book.
so my 2nd batch I put in the bought scoby and the one from the big 3qt or more glass pyrex bowl Is that bad to leave 2 SCOBIES in there? It taking a whole lot longer than last time in that big PYREX bowl
Also when Hubby bought me some tea bags he didnt buy Black tea He bought orange pekoe,,, Rah I didnt notice as I was in a hurry till I already made it.
I am not a sweet tea drinker or even a coffee drinker.
so does it have to be BLACK TEA or green????
later he bought me a box of black tea bags/ a Large box....RAH ....dont need one that big... But years ago I used to make him sweet tea... But its been like 10 yrs or more....then bought box of 100 bags
If I could have remember when in the grocery myself I would have bought a good kind> LOL
I got a GINGER BUG jar a going...
Now I dont what to get as a warmer for the tea>>>>>>LOL since yall say th one warming belt no longer available
thanks yall

Back
Top Bottom