Konza Prairie Rangers

Eden camp-- hope the rains have slowed down!! We are drier than we should be at this time of year. Need a bit more rain-- and it is coming this week. YEah.

I have three Konza! Two males and 1 girl. THey are much larger than my other stock and much fluffier. A different body type.

THese birds took a long time to reach the size they are, and were slow to put on the muscle. One male was tooo pretty to kill, so they all stayed in hopes maybe there is someone local that will want them. THese are meant to be kept in a coop as they are slow moving and I worry that the hawks will grab one. Very different from my buckeyes. . .. and these would be great in the right set up. A coop. lol

I have three Konza! Two males and 1 girl. THey are much larger than my other stock and much fluffier. A different body type.

THese birds took a long time to reach the size they are, and were slow to put on the muscle. One male was tooo pretty to kill, so they all stayed in hopes maybe there is someone local that will want them. THese are meant to be kept in a coop as they are slow moving and I worry that the hawks will grab one. Very different from my buckeyes. . .. and these would be great in the right set up. A coop. lol
Hi Arielle I share your observations re the Konza. Are you looking to rehome yours? I am too far away but good luck. Do you sell and ship Buckeye eggs? I would love to get on a list if you do. I am in CA and have a local gal who would like for me to connect her with a breeder.

@EdenCamp hi there glad to here things are progressing for you. Once you are ready please let me know when you have Konza eggs available. I will probably ask you to send them to ronott. I think that hatching eggs do better without traveling the mountain roads to get to me and he is just over an hour away and in the valley.

I am sick at heart today. I On Sunday morning I found my Chocolate Rock hen with both eyes swollen shut. I isolated her and spent the whole day cleaning the pen/coop and all the chicken stuff. Yesterday a.m. I had a Delaware girl beginning to show signs and after I finished culling the first two I found my Konza was also showing bubbling eyes. had just the one Konza girl. The Chock Rock and the Konza were my two favorites and yes I know that they are livestock and all that but having to cull them myself was particularly tough. Anyway I will miss both of them. They were both sweet girls the Chock Rock was unique and a great mama and the Konza kept us laughing. She was pretty speedy for a big gal and she laid that lovely pink egg. You can't tell from the pic but the markings on her chest looked like little black hearts. I know better than to sentimentalize but I got chickens for the eggs, I got more chickens because I fell for them as a species and these two were the sorts of birds who make a person fall.

By nightfall I had another girl showing symptoms of illness and will be culling her after work today. I had no symptomatic birds this morning thank God. I hope that holds. Not going to be hatching or bringing anyone in for awhile. Gotta find out what it is and get it all cleared up.

Last edited:
Wow has been awhile since any posts! OK, I've had a delay in shipping out eggs owed so I am setting them. Will have extra chicks available end of the month. Has any one else got a breeding flock going? Never heard back from CC. So this is it I guess. Please PM for more info. I am NPIP. Can ship.

Wow has been awhile since any posts! OK, I've had a delay in shipping out eggs owed so I am setting them. Will have extra chicks available end of the month. Has any one else got a breeding flock going? Never heard back from CC. So this is it I guess. Please PM for more info. I am NPIP. Can ship. .
What are the weights on the roosters and hens? I'm working on improving weights on Naked Necks, right now not too concerned on color.

I gave up when only 2 roosters hatched. Might give them the 2 French meat hens.. Note, bigger does not denote faster gains. Just bigger. For example: a Jersey GIant attains full size by 2 years, but a Cornish rock can reach the same weight in about 8-10 weeks.

Terrible at foraging. Do great in a pen with food provided.

Back
Top Bottom