1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Konza Prairie Rangers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChooksChick, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    As this generation fills out, with more of the CornishRock blood in it, I'm looking at birds that have begun to dwarf the turkeys...so I think that's a valid assertion!!!

I have a date at the processors for Friday and I have several young fellows that don't fit for one reason or another, coupled with the high (50%) male-to-female ratio...so I'm thinking I'll have to send them. While they'll be fabulous for Thanksgiving, I'm feeling sad about losing their size for future offspring. Part of me wants to hold onto them in pairs, but I really haven't the space. Anyone want to have one shipped out? The shipping will be stout, due to their weight...but it'd be a great investment in your own Roo-zillas.

2. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]
    Moby

[​IMG]

Juvie Konza roo and Bourbon Red turkey

[​IMG]
    More youngsters w/turkey

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG] This is the first time I've seen this thread and can I say WOW, nice looking bird. Big poop huh?

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hahahahahaha!!! No, so far it's normal enough, but occasionally a cecal is big and that's [​IMG]

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    'Moby' would be great in someones orp project, he has that loose feathered and huge look to him

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Moby is 100% English Orp- He's been added because he's over 10# at 17 weeks...I can't wait to see what he looks like filled out! He sounds like a howling wolf when he crows, his voice is so deep.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    OK Renee, I've been thinking it over, not sure I can add another mouth to feed, but I'll ask for the sake of asking. On the boys available, age? wt? muscling? I've never shipped a bird so how much is shipping in general, do you know?

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    What color is he? Barred? Silver Laced? A mix? Did you get him from Marc?

He looks like a BIG boy for sure.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Spring is around the corner . . .

Wat were the characteristcs of the birds that you held over? Two months ago you were culling to reduce the winter population. Were you able to keep a higher percentage of small combs than last winter? MOre mixed colors than last winter?

What did you decide about the cornishX offspring? DO you like the results? Perhaps the 1/2 breds are too sluggish but the 1/4 bred would be better.ANd the 1/8 even better.

10. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Well, here's an update:

I culled like a madwoman prior to winter and kept two White Columbian-ish hens and 2 dark Partridge-ish hens. I kept a HUGE copper-necked, pea-combed black roo, and Moby. I have 2 juvenile groups nearly point-of-lay, and I hatched 5 dozen chicks prior to the cull, so the few that wintered over aren't the only genes remaining. The juveniles are all growing out well, though some are clearly bigger than others. I'm starting to sort them into keepers at this point. I have a couple of roos who are primarily red with nearly zero comb (as I've wanted). I'm not sure about the color, but that can come later. They are gentle and sweet, but eager to go look for things to eat, again, as I wanted...but they don't appear to like to be enclosed. I'm not concerned about adults, but the juvies are light enough to be able to fly out of my 5' run if I don't do something soon. It's chicken-dinner season out on the prairie, and I'm not ready to let them out.

At this rate, I'm delighted with the light facial fuzz the birds all have- that's definitely a bit of the Chantecler (Albertan) influence, but the Australian Sussex has a bit, too. It's very different from a beard, and it's adorable!

I have a broody Konza sitting on 2 dozen eggs, and I'm hoping to test her parenting skills. It's been so cold only a giant hen could manage to keep them warm! I should have good egg production again soon, but until some of the last set start to lay, just the two white hens are contributing, and I think I won't hatch those because of the heavy white coloring that could result.

My sister came out to take whizbang pics with a real camera, so I'll get those up as soon as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by