Konza Prairie Rangers

Hey there!! I was hoping you'd weigh in at some point!! You know how I've stalked you and your projects!

I enjoy the non-comb of most of my Chanteclers (a cushion that looks like a small smudge of bubblegum) and I like peas on the Ameraucanas, but certainly don't want it as large even as that, I think. I'm really shooting for a minimal comb, but I'm not particular on shape just yet. There is a cockerel with what looks like a dubbed rose-comb, even! It looks like you just dubbed it all off but the base, smooth as baby-booty.

I would love to know if you have some youngsters with verve? I'm definitely caring about the structure and ability to forage more than things that I can modify later.

Thanks for popping in!
These chicks are out of our blue, and blue laced red cornish projects. Was way late hatching this year, as we moved these projects from Dad's to my place, building all the additional coop/run space put me behind in getting everybody seperated, and setting eggs.

The early chicks are out of the BLR pen which also included, two pure white Cornish hens who show a slightly greenish cast to their legs, and a blue hen, as I had no where else to house them at the time. I had the blue old male in a small pen, while construction was under way, and a spare BLR cock running at large among the assorted Brahmas waiting to be sorted and assigned their seperate breeding pens. At some point the BLR male got out of his pen and into general population, with run of the whole place, and half a dozen Brahmas cocks, and cockerels, the two cornish project males squared off, and both were dead before I even knew what was going on. Not sure if both got flipped, or possibly heart issue, was a very hot day, neither was beat up much.

So the blue male inherited all the project females. This gave him 15 hens, most Cornish breeders I have known prefer, pair, or at most trio matings. I figured I was getting good fertillity out of the BLR pen, and those hens should still be fertile for a short while, go ahead and keep setting eggs and see how the fertillity fared. Now this blue male is a three year old, and I was afraid he might not be up to the task. Not to worry, this old boys hens are about afraid to come out of the coop in the morning, or go in after him at night. He keeps himself, and the hens in good shape.tearing around the pasture. It is amazing how well/fast a cornish type bird, with a some leg under him, can move.

I have my blue laced red Brahma project birds in the other half off the coop with identical size fenced run. The cornish side is much more grazed, for lack of a better word. Similar number of birds, two males on Brahma side, but they don't seem to range as far from the coop, back corner getting pretty grown over.

Anyway, I have got some cushioned combed chicks out of the early hatches, the latter chicks are not yet big enough to be on the ground, and for me to really notice. But to answer your question, yeah these guys should have spunk to spare. There appears to be some variance in hardness of feather, some are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I do not figure to need the slick combed birds for future breeders. I will try to get some photos up in the next couple days.

Quote: Excellent news about the behaviors and temperaments of your birds, and I would be thrilled to have some of the cushion-combed fellows that you won't need! Would you email me details @ [email protected]?

I've just added a bunch of point-of-lay and juvies to the pen, and I'm working on a new location because they haven't enough space in their run. The new set-up will have both prairie and woods to roam, so they'll get to live up to their design.

I have a few broodies again, and I had one hen get eaten because I failed to close the pop-door one night...sometimes with sooooooooo many coops mistakes occur. I'm not getting many eggs at the moment, so I'm really not selling, but hatching them all again.

I expect new layers any time, though, so things should pick up a lot.

I'll shoot some new photos and post them. The boys I thought were done growing? Not so much. Monstrous!!!

May I pop into the conversation? I am reading this with interest as I have tried raising several heritage breeds and not yet found the "one". Been looking for the perfect combination of meatiness plus egg laying several times a week (daily not important), friendliness plus foraging ability, and self-preservation - what you are calling alertness, I think - with a willingness to be handled a bit by me. Color too, as I agree that white can be a beacon to predators. And quietness, as lots of vocalization bring unwanted attention. Cold tolerance! Nice tiny combs and wattles.

And here I come to my main point - broodiness. I don't want to have to incubate to get new generations, as my property (I don't live there yet) will be as off-grid as you can get - power not even a possibility unless I create it. Are you trying to breed broodiness out completely? I actually like the idea of having the older girls wanting to sit, as that leaves the younger ones to lay eating eggs. Nice combo, for my needs.

Am subscribing to this thread as I want to try raising them while I'm still amidst civilization.

Oh, and how did you come up with the awesome name?

coffe kittie, I'll let renee answer some of your questions. I'm interested in her creation too and asked her to start this thread. Have you considered the buckeyes? Just to give you options. I'm trying out breeds too and have been disapointed in some respects. Lots of learning to do on my part.

coffe kittie, I'll let renee answer some of your questions. I'm interested in her creation too and asked her to start this thread. Have you considered the buckeyes? Just to give you options. I'm trying out breeds too and have been disapointed in some respects. Lots of learning to do on my part.

Yes, I attempted all Spring and Summer of 2011 to buy real Buckeyes, and wasn't able to. Those and the heritage white Chantecler are possible good breeds. My property is covered with snow 3/4 of the year so white isn't as much of a problem although not optimal. There are a lot of birds out there being sold as these breeds which really....aren't. I'd be thrilled to get some of the real deal on either one.

In the meantime, chookschick's new birds are very interesting, and no problem with "fake" Konzas!
wink.png

May I pop into the conversation? I am reading this with interest as I have tried raising several heritage breeds and not yet found the "one". Been looking for the perfect combination of meatiness plus egg laying several times a week (daily not important), friendliness plus foraging ability, and self-preservation - what you are calling alertness, I think - with a willingness to be handled a bit by me. Color too, as I agree that white can be a beacon to predators. And quietness, as lots of vocalization bring unwanted attention. Cold tolerance! Nice tiny combs and wattles.

And here I come to my main point - broodiness. I don't want to have to incubate to get new generations, as my property (I don't live there yet) will be as off-grid as you can get - power not even a possibility unless I create it. Are you trying to breed broodiness out completely? I actually like the idea of having the older girls wanting to sit, as that leaves the younger ones to lay eating eggs. Nice combo, for my needs.

Am subscribing to this thread as I want to try raising them while I'm still amidst civilization.

Oh, and how did you come up with the awesome name?

Hi! Glad to have you!

Glad there are more of us out there with similar ideas. I have had Buckeyes from several lines, and they fit many of these qualities (at least the re-creations that are out there do, because they had to be recreated) but I find them to be not quite what I want...they are also fairly broody, too! I think they fellows aren't quite as big or fast-growing as I'd like. They forage well, and they do have good egg production and good feed to egg conversion. It's a good alternative, but I'm really in love with the idea of something that fits my ideals and with no standard of perfection to which to adhere. I can select for my ideas of perfection and not fear screwing up a heritage line because I want something to be a bit different.

The interesting thing is that they'll probably shake out as some form of Partridge because that seems to keep coming out in these...and since wild-type is what naturally occurred over time, and it's generally great camouflage, I suspect something like that will be the result.

I don't want to breed broodiness out altogether- I love broody birds!! Takes a lot of work off of my plate, that's for sure. I would like to keep it to a brood once or twice a year, per hen, and that seems like it's not too far off from where we are now- I'm not hatching the eggs from the two UBER broodies, but they are currently sitting on everyone else's eggs. I'm also reaching for longevity. One thing that happens when a hen lays lots of eggs is that she lays for a shorter period of her life. Statistically this is shown, but I can't find the link right this second. Due to this trade-off, I feel like laying fewer eggs than laying breeds is a good thing, and these have done well laying at a diminished rate over the winter, rather than quitting.

I live in Kansas, and am toying with the idea of a large breeding facility on the grassland in the shape of a medicine wheel. The Haskell Indian Nations University is here in town, and the Kanza (pronounced Konza) are the people for whom our state is named. It seems so appropriate to name the breed I want to fit the environment for the people who lived here. I want them to range the hayfields and native prairie grasses for their feed, so it all fit together.

Quote: I haven't had White Chantes, but the Partridge Chanties are wonderful. They are one of the founder flocks used to start these, because they were sooooooo close to what I wanted. I adore them, moreso than Buckeyes. You can get the Partridge Chantes from John Blehm of ChickHatchery.com. Buckeyes can be had from a few breeders on BYC, but each breeder's stock is a bit different, and they are still really working toward the original work Nettie did when she created them...I've yet to hear one roar, and I haven't really seen evidence of them being good mousers, either. I do have an Orp who will take down any mouse she sees, and a few prairie voles, too....perhaps I should add her to the mix!! It is a good thing, though gross...

I could definitely use a mouser. I have two cats, and they do ok, but when they pas on I"m doen with cats for a while ( long story) and a mouser in feathers would be welcomed. ChooksCHick, What kind of test could you give the offspirg to test for mousing abilities?

THe chanties, from what I read posted by 3rivers, are two different birds really. Just look enough alike to be given the same name.

Buckeyes--I was talking to a friend who raises both buckeyes and BR and he really likes the growth on the BR compared to the buckeyes. Mr Rhodes lives about five miles from me--an old line some 50 years we figured. Perhaps an infusion of new bloods like the ALBC project? Perahpsthe buckeys work better where feed is meager and the BR thrives on foraging and a farmer with a full larder. THose are the kinds of comparisons that interest me.

Patridge--is that like if dogs are allowed to go ferel they revert back to a dun color; chickens without breeding pressure would go back to partridge? I purposely have birds that are browns and mottled and laced and anything that will ehlp them hide in the wooded areas of the property. White--I've lost half my white stock. Dog and hawk. I do like the lt sussex though. sigh . . . a very growthy bird. I'm wondering if on green grassland if color doesn't matter.

I could definitely use a mouser. I have two cats, and they do ok, but when they pas on I"m doen with cats for a while ( long story) and a mouser in feathers would be welcomed. ChooksCHick, What kind of test could you give the offspirg to test for mousing abilities?

I just observe as they nab them...when chicks have been raised with Eliza (Orp) or Owly (EE) they tend to LEARN from the hens...which is just lovely to think about. Outside of that, it just depends on whether a bird discovers the possibility. Maybe then it isn't that a breed is good at it so much as they are taught from one generation to the next?

THe chanties, from what I read posted by 3rivers, are two different birds really. Just look enough alike to be given the same name.

You're absolutely correct. I haven't ever had the White, but adore the Partridge.

Buckeyes--I was talking to a friend who raises both buckeyes and BR and he really likes the growth on the BR compared to the buckeyes. Mr Rhodes lives about five miles from me--an old line some 50 years we figured. Perhaps an infusion of new bloods like the ALBC project? Perahpsthe buckeys work better where feed is meager and the BR thrives on foraging and a farmer with a full larder. THose are the kinds of comparisons that interest me.

If he has some of the originals, I bet folks would beat down his door to get them, assuming he's put some effort into keeping them as they were originally selected to be. What a discovery! I'm just not sure if birds don't evolve in that time frame to be what they ought to be for their living circumstance- a sort of passive selection.

Patridge--is that like if dogs are allowed to go ferel they revert back to a dun color; chickens without breeding pressure would go back to partridge? I purposely have birds that are browns and mottled and laced and anything that will ehlp them hide in the wooded areas of the property. White--I've lost half my white stock. Dog and hawk. I do like the lt sussex though. sigh . . . a very growthy bird. I'm wondering if on green grassland if color doesn't matter.

I suspect it's just that the black and the buff sift down and oppress the other colors. I do see the white come back out from the Sussex, but it has more and more Partridge leakage all the time. The patterns definitely will turn into a nondescript mess without some effort toward the maintenance of a particular pattern, since both parents will be different, and thus can't breed true. We'll see what happens, but I love the way the coloring on the latest gen is coming out! They all have a bit of a buff color at hatch, no comb at all, and are feathering in with patterns. BIG babies!! At a week, they're half-again the size of the Rocks they hatched with!

I'll go take pics...

And weigh those Konza and BR for comparisons.

We suspect that the line Mr Rhodes has is very old, from not only talking to him, but comparing the growth rates to mixed lines. WHen a cross bred ( RHodes-paige) out grows a full rhodes, then I would suspect inbreeding and it takes a LONG time to acheive that level.

Definitely would love to see pictures, when you have time.

And weigh those Konza and BR for comparisons.

We suspect that the line Mr Rhodes has is very old, from not only talking to him, but comparing the growth rates to mixed lines. WHen a cross bred ( RHodes-paige) out grows a full rhodes, then I would suspect inbreeding and it takes a LONG time to acheive that level.

Definitely would love to see pictures, when you have time.
Will do! I also have a single cockerel in with one of my Marans and a 2nd Gen from Kathyinmo's Delaware project (Heritage Barred Rock x German New Hampshire, lots of selection) and the difference is REALLY poignant.

I'm on my way to the farm now- I'll be sure to snap pics of those, too.

Back
Top Bottom