Kosher Kings vs Red Ranger males vs Freedom Ranger Color Yield

I only have have experience with Red Rangers and Slow White Broilers... an CX but everyone knows about them already. Red Rangers get fairly meaty fairly fast males mature and flesh up 2 weeks sooner than the females. My only problem with them is that the ones I had were very aggressive and the females would pounce on Bantam Females. The Slow White Broilers, which weren't mentioned, turned out to be bottom of the pecking order types and a little bit slower growing than Red Rangers.

I only have have experience with Red Rangers and Slow White Broilers... an CX but everyone knows about them already. Red Rangers get fairly meaty fairly fast males mature and flesh up 2 weeks sooner than the females. My only problem with them is that the ones I had were very aggressive and the females would pounce on Bantam Females. The Slow White Broilers, which weren't mentioned, turned out to be bottom of the pecking order types and a little bit slower growing than Red Rangers.

I had the same issue with my Freedom Rangers. They were aggressive to each other and also to people and would peck at our legs and ankles as we were walking in to feed or weigh them in. They did grow well only a little slower than the CX. I processed the males at 12 weeks and the girls at 14-16.

I have absolutely no personal experience with any meat breeds. My knowledge is all being grained by following various meat chicken raising threads.

I just find it all so interesting. Especially when some of the hens of any meaties are held back for breeding or egg laying. All sorts of interesting stuff then happens. Including new crosses and giant size eggs for the egg basket.

I have absolutely no personal experience with any meat breeds. My knowledge is all being grained by following various meat chicken raising threads.

I just find it all so interesting. Especially when some of the hens of any meaties are held back for breeding or egg laying. All sorts of interesting stuff then happens. Including new crosses and giant size eggs for the egg basket.

I can not claim to be a big advocate for keeping a meaty hen for egg laying alone because the feed they consume to produce that egg is so much greater than the increased egg size. Its kinda fun to collect my large Red Ranger egg a day but she eats so much its not worth it. You need to keep more than one around for that giant sized egg because not all of them end up with such a huge egg. Keeping a few around to get one giant egg in the flock is cool as far as a novelty goes but its not cost effective to keep to sell giant eggs.
I love keeping them for breeding so I can produce my own meat birds from conception to table. I currently keep 3, 2 are already laying. I have one Red Ranger with a normal sized Jumbo Egg and another with an egg so big I have to alternate it in the egg turner because they can't fit side by side and supposedly this egg turner is big enough for duck and goose eggs. I Choose to only keep 2 because I don't want a large flock of them and I wanted both egg sizes incase one egg size is better for breeding than the other. I never kept notes but the Super sized extra jumbo huge egg has a slightly lower hatch rate than the egg that is closer to normal sized.
Their daughters are actually not so bad as far as consumption goes, they are not huge but they are pretty compact and heavy. Their eggs are not nearly as big as their mothers but I haven't had them long enough to reach full egg size. Some of the breeds I deal with have smaller eggs the first year then 2nd year their eggs reach their maximum size.

The giant eggs really get my interest. Great bragging rights for sure if your passing out eggs to neighbors and friends. But then again I am not paying the feed bill for any Godzilla size hens so easy for me to say. !!

Back
Top Bottom