Meat Bird crossing?

I understand that you are an animal lover, and so am I, but I don't mind if the animal has to be dispatched for a good use, however I do oppose the killing for sports, but to each their own.
In ancient Egypt they used to throw human babies to crocodiles in the Nile, because they considered the crocs as gods. Times have not changed much, even today, there are groups that consider themselves to be above the law, and still do such things with babies and children, sacrificing them to honor their god of the underworld.
You and I are pretty much chickens in a big farm ran by those who consider themselves to be above the law, and they cull humans just like they do chickens in chicken farms, a certain vaccine comes to mind. I better stop right now before they do what they did to my facebook and instagram accounts.
Understood loud and clear. I love animals but meat chickens are for meat and layers are for eggs and eventually need to be used as meat. Waste not want not. I just hate the idea that they often times are thought of as something as disposable as a paper towel.

Understood loud and clear. I love animals but meat chickens are for meat and layers are for eggs and eventually need to be used as meat. Waste not want not. I just hate the idea that they often times are thought of as something as disposable as a paper towel.
The corporate world, you are needed until you are not.

One kind of trait that I never want to develop is the ones that CxR and high production egg layers have. That is they have short lives. Egg layers so prone to cancers and meat birds to heart attacks. I lost on of my CxR hens last night. Found her dead in the coop this morning. I still have 10 to work with. It's funny how the CxR hens are listed a layers of small eggs. I've had to wait until they started laying smaller eggs that aren't double yolked. Most of their eggs are extra large and now single yolked. The WG roos are about old enough to breed them. I may get some eggs set this month yet. Murry McMurray used to sell WGxR meat birds back in the 50's and 60's. Don't know why the stopped. I have one White Rock roo to use on 4 extra WG hens. Time to find out about that meat cross.
By the way, what are the letters WG and WGxR standing for? I am not familiar with those chickens. Thanks in advance. Sometimes I am a bit slow.

By the way, what are the letters WG and WGxR standing for? I am not familiar with those chickens. Thanks in advance. Sometimes I am a bit slow.
WG is White Giant, R is for Rock, It was White Giant x White Rock back when cornish cross was still taking a hold on the meat bird industry. Delaware x New Hampshire = Indian River birds for meat back some years ago. Another lettering is AG for American Game. I G is for Indrio Gigante. I so want to cross an IG roo to WG hens. Like what the thread poster ask about there are all kinds of options using standard breeds for good meat bird crosses that want die if they get to much feed or aren't processed before they start having heart attacks.
I think WG x DC (Dark Cornish) just might be a very good cross. The Red Ranger type meat birds crossed on WG hens might make a good hybrid meat bird that would be a sex link possibly. Red gene on silver gene female. There is a white laced red Cornish breed that might could be used on WG (silver gene hens) and get a really good sex link meat bird. I'm amazed at how good my Dark Cornish pullets are laying. I hope that EOD Daddy is benefiting from our discussion about the possible crosses of standard breeds of chickens. Don't over look Speckled Sussex x White Giants either. They might be a sex link. I want to cross a Speckled Sussex roo on a Dark Cornish hen for a meat bird that can lay well enough for a family's egg supply and supply meat.

WG is White Giant, R is for Rock, It was White Giant x White Rock back when cornish cross was still taking a hold on the meat bird industry. Delaware x New Hampshire = Indian River birds for meat back some years ago. Another lettering is AG for American Game. I G is for Indrio Gigante. I so want to cross an IG roo to WG hens. Like what the thread poster ask about there are all kinds of options using standard breeds for good meat bird crosses that want die if they get to much feed or aren't processed before they start having heart attacks.
I think WG x DC (Dark Cornish) just might be a very good cross. The Red Ranger type meat birds crossed on WG hens might make a good hybrid meat bird that would be a sex link possibly. Red gene on silver gene female. There is a white laced red Cornish breed that might could be used on WG (silver gene hens) and get a really good sex link meat bird. I'm amazed at how good my Dark Cornish pullets are laying. I hope that EOD Daddy is benefiting from our discussion about the possible crosses of standard breeds of chickens. Don't over look Speckled Sussex x White Giants either. They might be a sex link. I want to cross a Speckled Sussex roo on a Dark Cornish hen for a meat bird that can lay well enough for a family's egg supply and supply meat.
Thank you for decoding that for me. I agree, you can make any type of chicken you want with standard breeds, all the big meat birds including the Cornish X came from standard breeds. I believe that you could take just one large standard breed, and in a few years, increase the size of the birds by perhaps 50% or more, and I believe that the procedure to archive that, would be to keep individual birds in cages, and feed them all the same amount of feed, and water, and see which ones put on the most weight after a few months (before they start to lay), that way you can physically see which birds have a more efficient feed to meat conversion ratio, and then focus on those for reproduction, and repeat the same process with the off springs, and after several generations, you might get a Cornish X :lau

Certain types of fish (tilapia and catfish) have a very efficient feed to meat conversion ratio (2:1, or two pounds of feed gets converted into one pound of flesh) and I was thinking, that someone with a large pond could build floating cages with either chickens or ducks, and as the birds poop, and waste some of the feed, the fish below could benefit from that, creating an almost free second source of food for the property owner. That is something I have wanted to do for a while (the pond + fish + birds combo). Others have used pigs floating cages above the pond and the pig's waste fed the fish.

Certain types of fish (tilapia and catfish) have a very efficient feed to meat conversion ratio (2:1, or two pounds of feed gets converted into one pound of flesh) and I was thinking, that someone with a large pond could build floating cages with either chickens or ducks, and as the birds poop, and waste some of the feed, the fish below could benefit from that, creating an almost free second source of food for the property owner. That is something I have wanted to do for a while (the pond + fish + birds combo). Others have used pigs floating cages above the pond and the pig's waste fed the fish.
I think that it is tilapia that feed on pig manure. That was shown on the evening news some years ago. Tilapia ponds down hill from large pig barns. Manure flowing down hill to feed the fish.

I think that it is tilapia that feed on pig manure. That was shown on the evening news some years ago. Tilapia ponds down hill from large pig barns. Manure flowing down hill to feed the fish.
It would work with tilapia or catfish. Tilapia can only be raised in tropical or subtropical areas, while catfish can tolerate colder temperatures as well as hot climates. In Africa they raise catfish in home made brick and concrete tubs basically, they tolerate and survive in waters with very low oxygen levels, because they can breath the oxygen directly from the air, but of course that is not ideal, specially for consumption, but people have to do whatever to survive sometimes.

I had a few of those gingers, and they were very aggressive towards other chickens, at least that was my experience, maybe I just happened to get a batch of aggressive ones. However, they were not aggressive towards me.
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you. Mine are now 6m old. I only had 3 male and 2 female. Processed 2 males that were terrified of me, and kept the one that was less terrified of me - he's okay at the moment. The large female is pecky but slow (that helps the others run away), and the smaller female is okay, but I don't want to breed her if we can avoid it as she's too small. I only kept her as a backup since the large female is not a great layer.

My black Sexlink Roo x RIR hens gave me very uniform rooster chicks. All looked like their dad. Not sure of the pullets as we only had about 10 to hatch and most were roos. The cross is actually 3/4 RIR and 1/4 Barred Rock. That may account for the peas in a pod look. They all grew faster than straight RIR Roos and maybe somewhat faster than the Black Sexlink roo which is a heavy x heavy cross.
I just wanted to say thanks for you additions to the thread. My husband recently requested to raise meatier birds than our speckled sussex crosses (our main flock was purposed for pretty egg colors and pretty birds, with my choosing speckled sussex as a dual purpose and pretty bird). Someone in a facebook post mentioned breeding RIR rooster with barred rock hens, and it made me wonder about breeding what you just mentioned as that's the same ratio recommended for meat rabbit hybrid vigor. So it's nice to read someone actually achieving that.

Back
Top Bottom