Meat Bird crossing?

EOD Daddy

Chirping
Sep 14, 2023
I have read people keeping meat birds back and trying to raise them. Some with better success than others. Everything I have read is breeding like Freedom Ranger Rooster to Freedom Ranger hens. I have been wondering is anyone has every tried to cross like a Kosher King Rooster over a Freedom Ranger Hen or one of the meat roosters over say Freedom Rangers special New Hampshire Hen or the enhanced Delaware chickens that are now available? or even the NH and Del cross?
Just wondering if you did this what quality of meat bird you would get? Or if anyone has every tried crossing them. Sorry to ask so many questions but Just had a heart transplant and my mind is the only place I can do anything right now. So I am planning out all kinds of things for when I am back to 100%!

Most of those crosses, you may have to just try it and see. The NH and Delawares breed uniformly, but the rest of them can have variable traits in their offspring. You would breed them, see how they turn out, and then cross the birds that have the traits you desire for the next breeding.

I'm doing a ginger broiler x ginger broiler cross right now, we'll see if they are large or not. I'll eat the small ones and hold back / breed the largest ones a few times until I'm happy with them.

Ok what I was asking and must not have made it very clear was has anyone ever crossed to different breeds of the slower growing meat birds. Such as a Kosher King rooster over a Freedom Ranger Hen? If you did this do you think you would get more off spring that were meaty and grew well. I have read where a lot of people who tried to raise say Freedom Ranger x Freedom Ranger get slower growing and smaller chicks. I noticed that the freedom ranger color yield is a cross of two different slower growing meat birds.
So has anyone tried this?
Watch what this guy is doing. This is what you asked about. This is week 7 of fast growing meat bird x American Bresse. This is one of several youtube videos on this cross. Get well soon and dream on. This is not really 2 slower growers. It is one fast and one slow. I have crossed a Black Sex link Rooster onto a Rhode Island Red Hen and love that cross. The roosters are fast growing. I'm about to process some tomorrow I hope if all goes well. I think this is what I will hatch out some of soon for our use for grilling and frying.

Last edited:
I can't offer up any advice here but I just wanna say get well soon! A heart transplant can't be an easy recovery, but planning and dreaming like this is a great way to stay motivated and excited for the future while you heal. Keep dreaming and keep your spirits up, and soon enough you can make them a reality. Best of luck :)

I have read people keeping meat birds back and trying to raise them. Some with better success than others. Everything I have read is breeding like Freedom Ranger Rooster to Freedom Ranger hens. I have been wondering is anyone has every tried to cross like a Kosher King Rooster over a Freedom Ranger Hen or one of the meat roosters over say Freedom Rangers special New Hampshire Hen or the enhanced Delaware chickens that are now available? or even the NH and Del cross?
Just wondering if you did this what quality of meat bird you would get? Or if anyone has every tried crossing them. Sorry to ask so many questions but Just had a heart transplant and my mind is the only place I can do anything right now. So I am planning out all kinds of things for when I am back to 100%!
There is another poster around here who had Freedom Ranger NH crossed with Freedom Ranger Delaware (no longer available when I checked) because it produced a sex link chick. He seemed to be very happy with them. I have the Freedom Ranger New Hampshires and I’m quite pleased with them.

Most of those crosses, you may have to just try it and see. The NH and Delawares breed uniformly, but the rest of them can have variable traits in their offspring. You would breed them, see how they turn out, and then cross the birds that have the traits you desire for the next breeding.

I'm doing a ginger broiler x ginger broiler cross right now, we'll see if they are large or not. I'll eat the small ones and hold back / breed the largest ones a few times until I'm happy with them.
I had a few of those gingers, and they were very aggressive towards other chickens, at least that was my experience, maybe I just happened to get a batch of aggressive ones. However, they were not aggressive towards me.

Ok what I was asking and must not have made it very clear was has anyone ever crossed to different breeds of the slower growing meat birds. Such as a Kosher King rooster over a Freedom Ranger Hen? If you did this do you think you would get more off spring that were meaty and grew well. I have read where a lot of people who tried to raise say Freedom Ranger x Freedom Ranger get slower growing and smaller chicks. I noticed that the freedom ranger color yield is a cross of two different slower growing meat birds.
So has anyone tried this?
Watch what this guy is doing. This is what you asked about. This is week 7 of fast growing meat bird x American Bresse. This is one of several youtube videos on this cross. Get well soon and dream on. This is not really 2 slower growers. It is one fast and one slow. I have crossed a Black Sex link Rooster onto a Rhode Island Red Hen and love that cross. The roosters are fast growing. I'm about to process some tomorrow I hope if all goes well. I think this is what I will hatch out some of soon for our use for grilling and frying.

I actually recently watched most if not all of his videos, and noticed that he had to cull several times in order to get what he was looking for, something people refuse to do. In order to reach a desired characteristic in any animal, culling is necessary. He said on one of the videos, that he had bigger roosters that he rejected over one which had the blue legs, which was a specific characteristic that he was looking for, had him been looking for bigger size only, he would have kept the larger roosters for breeding, so as a breeder you must have a clear goal in mind which you want to reach, else you will be breeding just to breed, and soon you will not even remember why you started breeding for.

I actually recently watched most if not all of his videos, and noticed that he had to cull several times in order to get what he was looking for, something people refuse to do. In order to reach a desired characteristic in any animal, culling is necessary. He said on one of the videos, that he had bigger roosters that he rejected over one which had the blue legs, which was a specific characteristic that he was looking for, had him been looking for bigger size only, he would have kept the larger roosters for breeding, so as a breeder you must have a clear goal in mind which you want to reach, else you will be breeding just to breed, and soon you will not even remember why you started breeding for.
He keeps good records. It's not a hap hazard hobby for him. I have CxR hens and Bresse roos now along with white giant roos and hen. I want to AI the big CxR roo onto some WG hens.... just maybe.

I understand that you are an animal lover, and so am I, but I don't mind if the animal has to be dispatched for a good use, however I do oppose the killing for sports, but to each their own.
In ancient Egypt they used to throw human babies to crocodiles in the Nile, because they considered the crocs as gods. Times have not changed much, even today, there are groups that consider themselves to be above the law, and still do such things with babies and children, sacrificing them to honor their god of the underworld.
You and I are pretty much chickens in a big farm ran by those who consider themselves to be above the law, and they cull humans just like they do chickens in chicken farms, a certain vaccine comes to mind. I better stop right now before they do what they did to my facebook and instagram accounts.
Understood loud and clear. I love animals but meat chickens are for meat and layers are for eggs and eventually need to be used as meat. Waste not want not. I just hate the idea that they often times are thought of as something as disposable as a paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom