Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
Kraienkopp cockerel of my selection free ranging.. Would have to check my records for an exact date, but he's around 6-7 months old at this time. Haven't judged him much yet, but so far he seems alright. He's got perfect little walnut comb so far when observed in person I believe- but still waiting for him to finish growing out before I decide what his future holds. He has an awesome little personality though.

Last edited:
Been very pleasantly surprised by how large and powerful these birds are. Really spectacular. Here are some of our gold duckwings.

Nice looking birds, about how much do yours weigh (since they are imports I imagine)? How much do you intend to charge for them for future reference? I think I sent an email one time inquiring about them but I'm not sure if it sent or maybe your reply got lost in my spam folder.

Last edited:
I have neglected updating some of the photos recently (I don't visit poultry forums that much now.) This is not a good photo (cellphone made his legs look white, when they are yellow). But, I do like my birds even if they are hatchery stock. A lot of the F1's are looking promising as well but too young for me to judge just yet whether I will cull or keep them.

Though they need some tweaking (what can you expect from hatchery stock), when comparing with some European birds and the image I found that is supposed to be "Ideal type" I don't think they are terribly far off- maybe some from Europe can correct me.

"Ideal type supposedly"

For all of you English speaking breeders, if you'd like shoot me a PM or email some time and I will try to get you some more information on the breed if you need. I had a lot of articles regarding this breed sent to me by a kind German breeder and I have since translated these into English. I've also gotten the book "Kraienköppe und Zwerg-Kraienköppe, Orloff und Zwerg-Orloff" and "Twentse Hoenders" (the newest book written by Willem Molenveld).

Thanks for keeping this thread going and posting the info. I got Black Breasted Reds from Sandhill to use as broodies. Three of the five went broody soon after POL, so that was a good sign, hope they are equally willing in a couple of months. I did not know if the tail on the male was suppose to be up or down, now I know. Guessed wrong, oh well. Boy, these birds can fly if they are so motivated. I have a pullet who, I guess, got sick and tired of all the snow and flew off into the woods for an overnight vacation. Thankfully she survived the night and come back to the flock. I will pm with email address. thanks again.

mark

Another Kraienkopp cock.

Just thought I'd post as well: If anyone turns up with any other colors than red (Silver, Golden, white, etc..), and the birds are of useable type- I'd be interested in trying to get some at some point or possibly trading some of my stock out for them.

I didn't want to spread myself too thin because I have the reds and now with the Malay crosses some blacks have cropped up which I am considering keeping. But, I wouldn't mind breeding some of the other colors too- so that I can make sure they're around. I know I've had some people ask me about other colors, but the only people I could refer to them that I know of would be hatcheries and if at all possible I'd like to help people start with a little better stock than from hatcheries.

Even if any of you are in the US and still have other colors than red, it'd be nice to know if nothing else for references when someone asks me about breeders with potential stock.

Last edited:

Same cock as I posted beforehand (page 16), just at a different time and he's on tie.

Wish I could put some of my birds out on Tie cords here but they would not last long. Hawks have been awfull here this winter. I had 25 birds freerange back in September and now everyone of them have been killed by hawks.

Wish I could put some of my birds out on Tie cords here but they would not last long. Hawks have been awfull here this winter. I had 25 birds freerange back in September and now everyone of them have been killed by hawks
Sorry to hear you're having such trouble with hawks. Snakes gave me my biggest issue last year- but I've cured that I think with some brooder modifications. Have you tried contacting the wildlife officials for your state about issuing a permit or them trapping the hawks and relocating them?

Do you still have the Kraienköppe?

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble with hawks. Snakes gave me my biggest issue last year- but I've cured that I think with some brooder modifications. Have you tried contacting the wildlife officials for your state about issuing a permit or them trapping the hawks and relocating them?

Do you still have the Kraienköppe?

No, I downsized all my large fowl. All I have now are bantams. Ko Shamo and Bantam Asil and crosses of the two.

Built a "photo booth" and decided to give it a try.

Two Kraienköppe hens, mother and daughter.

Hen direct from Ideal: legs are not white as they appear in the photo- they are just pale yellow which is acceptable though something that will be culled for in the future. Earlobes also are not white: They are red but occasionally turn pale when excited- which is acceptable also but will be culled for in the future.

One of the first Kraienköppe I hatched/raised; legs are a light yellow- and not white as the picture makes it appear.

Hopefully out of all of the chicks I've hatched this year, I will be able to cull hard and get rid of some of those issues that are evident.

Back
Top Bottom