l

Yes, the sheath of the spur is only tentatively attached to the inner spur nub. It doesn't take much to loosen the spur through normal activity, and have the sheath fall away. Even though there's a little bleeding, this isn't serious, and no further first aid is required other than a spritz with Vetericyn if you have it. In a couple of days, there will already be a new hard layer formed on the spur.

If you wish to see how easy it is to make his spurs match, grab some pliers, grasp the remaining spur sheath at the shank end and twist back and forth a couple times and lift it off.

Just found it laying there, all by itself, seemingly completely intact, with the inside being totally clean, no blood, no tissue. It was on the board under his usual roosting spot, but with nothing else around it, no blood, no feathers, no poop. After it came off, he must have moved to the other end of the roost, bc he did bleed a good bit there, on the roost & on the board, more than I was comfortable seeing... But he's fine, holding it up a little now & then, like it hurts, but it had already stopped bleeding when I discovered it all. I was able to distract him with some bread & soak the spur stub with some povidone iodine. I'll have to wait until tonight to get a close look at him.

So, is this what happens with the potato or pliers/twist method? I've only ever trimmed spurs, and obviously, I've been a little remiss these past few months. Forgive me for sharing the weird things from my day :)
The scraping on the shed indicates he got it stuck on something. It'll grow back.

Shed, the flaking of the outer layer of the growing spur.

Back
Top Bottom