La Fleche Thread ~ PIC of my Black La Fleche

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Long Horn Poultry Farm, Mar 15, 2010.

1. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

This breed and this thread are very interesting to me. I had a weird thing happen a few years ago, a strange comb mutation. And I have been breeding for it ever since. The bird that first came with it was from some hybridizing I had been doing with Grey Junglefowl and Phoenix, and he is still alive and still breeding. His comb is straight, but splits in the rear. Much like a buttercup, but only partially. I bred this rooster to a peacombed phoenix hen, and whammo-- I got some V-combed birds. So now I am putting one of those V-combed birds (phoenix for all intents and purposes) back over some peacombed hens, and hatching a good many chicks with this gene. It is really strange, but looks cool on a longtail.

I just thought you guys might find this interesting.
    The bird below is the latest generation (which I am raising chicks from now)

[​IMG]

2. paduanchook

paduanchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    McDavid Florida
    Not yet, weds I think. Yeah!

3. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Long Horn Poultry Farm La Fleche ~The Devil Bird

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Quote:
    Hi wclawrence

A longtail that has the V-comb is very interesting. Do you have any pictures of the Grey Junglefowl x Phoenix male that the comb mutation started with.[​IMG] Please post pictures of the chicks when they hatch.[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. wclawrence

Here is a picture of the first rooster that came with this mutation. His daddy was 5/8 Grey Junglefowl, 3/8 Phoenix. This picture is from when he was young.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a good hen, the daughter of the above rooster, and mother of the rooster in the original post.
    [​IMG]

The F1 hybrid rooster I am currently using is on feathersite, go to the Grey Junglefowl page, and scroll down to the "Bengals" section. He is the one on the bottom. The hen is his sister.

5. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi wclawrence

Thank You for posting the pictures. That is very odd how the comb went from single to V-shape in just a few years. You have some very nice looking birds there.[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

6. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi All [​IMG]

I have been looking over my Black La Fleche chicks all weekend and I decided to cull a few more today. It is very hard for me to keep the ones I know will never make it to the breeding pens. So today I culled 4 males " each one had one point of their V-shape comb larger than the other ". I also culled 1 female " she was a runt only half the size as the rest of my females. I am at 13 Black La Fleche chicks now and very happy with their even size and even V-shape comb. I now have 4 males and 9 females.

Long Horn Poultry Farm

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. wclawrence

I think it is because of the infusion of Grey Junglefowl. They have 15 or more points on the comb, and phoenix only have about half that many. I think it just needed more room for points so the comb split. Anyways it went from single duplex to V-comb when I introduced peacomb.
    This project involves as many grey junglefowl genes as I can get plus as many longtail genes as possible, then a few extras (fibromelanosis and the blue egg gene)
    I am hoping to get some of the pointed breast feathering in some longtail fowl. I guess they would accurately be called Bengals. You can even see in the v-comb rooster that he has some freaky colors in the hackles.

8. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi wclawrence

I think the Grey Junglefowl is a very unusual looking fowl. Please post pictures of yours![​IMG]

I went to feathersite and your Bengals are very nice looking fowl.

Long Horn Poultry Farm

9. wclawrence

I do not have any pure ones. I do not breed Grey Junglefowl at all. I just wanted to borrow some of their genetics. So I can't post any pics of mine, I don't have any.

10. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Quote:
    OK [​IMG] Thanks for posting the pictures of your Grey Junglefowl x Phoenix .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by