La Fleche Thread ~ PIC of my Black La Fleche

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Long Horn Poultry Farm, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Long Horn Poultry Farm La Fleche ~The Devil Bird

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Quote:Hi Hillside [​IMG]

I plan to selective breed my Black La Fleche for health & vigor while keeping very close to the Standard. By culling out the ones with bad combs, small size and ones that was less active this year I believe the health and look of next years chicks will improve. In doing this year by year I hope to have a very healthy & nice looking Black La Fleche breeding flock in the future. The best 2 males will be kept for breeding. Male #1 will be in breeding pen #1 with all the females of this year. Male #2 will be in breeding pen #2 as a bachelor this year and all of next years female offspring from breeding pen #1 will be put into breeding pen#2. If I need to add new blood to my La Fleche stock for health or breed characteristic I plan to give Urch/Turnland Poultry or Rev. Roland/Romig's Poultry a call.[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi All [​IMG]

Here are a few pictures of my Black La Fleche at 9 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a couple of pictures of my Black La Fleche breeding pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

3. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Hi! Here are photos of some of my La Fleche from Ideal. I think they came around Feb 24 - now I can't remember for sure. One of the roosters is super friendly and is always the first to run up to me when I come out there.
    [​IMG]
    In this photo below, there are 2 La Fleche (bottom-left and top-right):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  4. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:That's a nice breeding pen! If you have any clover in your yard, I've noticed my young chickens go nuts over it if you throw some in there like you did w/ the grass (we keep the babies in a pen for the first few weeks). If you have any dead tree limbs or big sticks to throw in there, they also love that (to stand on while they're out enjoying the fresh air). Now I wish I'd gotten more of the La Fleche. I only ordered 6, and I think I have 2 male and 2 female left. One of the birds that died wasn't very active and seemed to just sit there a lot, so I think a hawk must've taken it. I guess that's the free-range version of culling. The remaining birds I have are really healthy and vigorous.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi TinyBirds

You have a nice looking flock there. The La Fleche male has a very nice looking comb. In my breeding pen I only want to keep 8 females and 2 males and I am just about to my final culling. There is clover in their outside run and they love it. Please post more pictures as they grow.[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

6. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Quote:

Hi paduanchook

How are your chicks doing " would love to see pictures".[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

7. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Quote:

Hi southerngamebirds1

Did you get your La Fleche from Ideal Poultry. Please post pictures.[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

8. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi All [​IMG]

I have noticed that one of my males has a fleshy protuberance above the beak. I was going to cull him but on Feathersite.com it says the fleshy protuberance above the beak that was historically typical of the breed. So now he is one of the males I will use in the breeding pen.[​IMG]

Here is a link to the site http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/LaFleche/BRKLaFle.html

Long
    Horn Poultry Farm

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Hi All [​IMG]

I have culled all I am going to cull and this is what I have for my Black La Fleche breeding pen 2 males & 8 females.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long Horn Poultry Farm

10. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    hey longhorn!

mine are doing well and growing they are not as skittish as i expected, which is good ill try to get some pics soon mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by