Labor Day Chicks - Outside?

lmdengler

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
Good Afternoon Friends!

I have 5 chicks I hatched Labor Day weekend. The went from the kitchen under a lamp to the garage under the lamp. Then finally - just the garage with no lamp about a month ago. They are good sized and feathered out. I have been putting them outside during the day - but bringing them in at night. Our nights are now down to the 20's now with winter rolling in.

I just bought a small chicken coop that will fit them quite nicely. I have one 6 month old very timid chicken that will also be with them. I have to keep her separate from everyone because she is so mild mannered and gets picked on.

Do you think they are old enough to stay outside at night?
Lisa

Attachments

• IMG_7817.JPG
    IMG_7817.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 40
Yes...as long as coop will keep them dry and out of the wind, but have good ventilation.
Is the 6mo bird in another coop...how do you plan to integrate them together??

Yep, they will be fine. I have 8 the same age and 4 that are 2 weeks younger. They've been in their coop and free-ranging during the day for about 3 weeks now. They're doing great! I'm in NH so weather/temp are similar here :love Congratulations and have fun!!

They are definitely old enough to be moved outdoors at this point. As long as they have an insulated coop that will conserve heat also composed of body heat which is transferred from the chickens, that will regulate the temperature in your coop. As aart said, enough ventilation is also important.
Yep, they will be fine. I have 8 the same age and 4 that are 2 weeks younger. They've been in their coop and free-ranging during the day for about 3 weeks now. They're doing great! I'm in NH so weather/temp are similar here :love Congratulations and have fun!!
A difference in age of 2 weeks won't make any difference in the pecking order. The OP 's is 6 months vs. 2-3 months and that is a big difference. Therefore, integration will be a problem.

As long as they have an insulated coop that will conserve heat also composed of body heat which is transferred from the chickens, that will regulate the temperature in your coop. As aart said, enough ventilation is also important.
These two things are contradictory.
An adequately ventilated coop will not 'hold heat'.
Chickens hold onto most the heat they generate with their feathers,
thus no drafts strong enough to 'ruffle feathers' is also important.

Yes...as long as coop will keep them dry and out of the wind, but have good ventilation.
Is the 6mo bird in another coop...how do you plan to integrate them together??
I already integrated them. The older bird is so mild mannered. I had combined them during the day often - so they were used to each other.

My coop definitely isn't "insulated" . It's a TSC-type small coop. It has nice ventilation at the roof peak. It looks something like this. I'm at work or I would take a pic.

Attachments

• 542c0a929f62120ac2c2f2d6023c35ec.jpg
    542c0a929f62120ac2c2f2d6023c35ec.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom