labored breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sham30, Dec 14, 2011.

1. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    One of my oldest hens has very labored breathing today, she seems to be really having a hard time. Poop is normal, she has showed signs of wanting to eat and drink and other than here breathing hard she seems normal. I don't want to just give her antibiotics if they are not needed but I feel like I need to do something. She was wormed with Valbazen over a month ago and has not had any change in feed. Her eyes are bright and she is not molting. Any thoughts?

2. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    There are a lot of respiratory illnesses going around right now. Get some VetRX & put it in the water & rub it on her nose & under her wings.

3. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I called everywhere and can not find any [​IMG] Would dabbing a bit of vicks work? I just checked to make sure she does not have anything stuck in her throat and she is clear. Her crop is normal too - I am so freaked, just want her to make it [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    antibotic in the water. Go to the feed store and ask what to give and they will direct you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by