Labored, open-mouthed breathing.

Should I go ahead and re-treat for worms? I was going to do it today, but didn't because of her current state.

Worms wouldn't cause these symptoms would they?

Should I go ahead and re-treat for worms? I was going to do it today, but didn't because of her current state.

Worms wouldn't cause these symptoms would they?

Do you happen to have a stethoscope? I would give her a good listen to make sure she's not experiencing a respiratory infection/disfunction. Sometimes if they start to have heart issues (not unheard of in younger birds, sadly) breathing can become labored.

I would keep a close eye on her comb color as an indicator on is she getting enough oxygen - and continue to check the abdominal area daily for any sign of ascities (waterbelly) which can be caused by heart/liver failure.

Maybe double check her vent to see whether she might have begun laying. Check to see if her pelvic bones are still close together (if they're inflexible and close she hasn't laid an egg yet) and see too if the vent has relaxed and become more of an oval shape. I mention this because as they start laying sometimes they'll have a shell-less egg that can break before it comes out. A little bit of a long shot but worth a look.

Do you happen to have a stethoscope? I would give her a good listen to make sure she's not experiencing a respiratory infection/disfunction. Sometimes if they start to have heart issues (not unheard of in younger birds, sadly) breathing can become labored.

I would keep a close eye on her comb color as an indicator on is she getting enough oxygen - and continue to check the abdominal area daily for any sign of ascities (waterbelly) which can be caused by heart/liver failure.

Maybe double check her vent to see whether she might have begun laying. Check to see if her pelvic bones are still close together (if they're inflexible and close she hasn't laid an egg yet) and see too if the vent has relaxed and become more of an oval shape. I mention this because as they start laying sometimes they'll have a shell-less egg that can break before it comes out. A little bit of a long shot but worth a look.
Thank you! I'll go over her again in the morning and report back.

8/9 month old pullets is breathing very heavy
She's not yet laying. She's a bit lethargic
I did de-worm them with the proper dosage of Safeguard about 8 days ago after noticing a large roundworm in a dropping in her group's pen.
In person it is light green
How is she doing?

Photos of her poop?

The poop is light green on the feathers? Any chance feed got wet and molded?
I would check to see if there's an egg, feel her abdomen for bloat/fluid and see if her crop is empty this morning.

Treating roundworms with Fenbendazole, you treat once, then again in 10 days, I suppose you could do it early.
I would get her hydrated and eating.
The labored breathing is concerning - hard to know what's going on with her.

What breed is she? Most of my hens started laying around 20-26 weeks of age. I would worry that she might have something going on with her reproductive organs, causing infection. Heart issues might also be possible. I would start by getting some droppings checked for coccidiosis and bacteria by a fecal float and gram stain. Not all vets will agree to do that. Or treat for coccidiosis with Corid. She might have enteritis or an infection that antibiotics may treat. I am not one to recommend antibiotics when something is unknown, but this might be a case that giving something might help. She is very young to be so sick. I hope that you can figure out what her problem is.

Thank you everyone. She is a bantam Cochin, so 8/9 months isn't abnormal for starting to lay. I've been expecting her to start any day now. Just measured her pelvic bones. Almost two fingers.

She's not breathing as heavy this morning. Breathing seems normal. Now she's very lethargic though. I got her to take a few sips of water. Going to try some scrambled egg here in a bit.

Starting to think it may be vent gleet. This morning her entire underside was soaked and smelled of ammonia. Backside is caked with white liquid urates and a bit of poo.

She's sitting/laying in the classic "I feel like crap" hunched position.

Crop is empty. Would it hurt to treat for gleet? In a panic I had DH run to the local store to grab some tums. Won't get out to the closest Covid infested town until tomorrow. I can grab antibiotics/anti-fungal then. Just need to know what I should get.

My best friend (LVT) is on maternity leave right now and returns to work next week. I can have her do a fecal for me.

I'm going to give Frizz a sits bath again. I'll take pics before I do and post them.

Sorry Wyorp, somehow missed your post. Just super worried.

No chance of moldy feed. I palpated her abdomen this morning. All feels normal. No squish or fluid. Nothing hard either.

:confused:

Bathed her but forgot to get pics before. Poor thing was listless in the bath. She's usually very feisty.

I am almost convinced it's gleet. It looks just like pictures online. Doesn't have a super strong odor. I have a very strong stomach though. Not sure if what's not affecting me would affect someone else.

She's not really pooping much and what does come out gets soaked by the urates. I will try to remember to get pics before next bath.

I have Curelle for Kids probiotics, and DH should be getting back soon with tums and original monistat.

Just scrambled up some eggs. Should I sprinkle the probiotics on them?
20200508_111138.jpg

20200508_112353.jpg

I would mix them into the eggs. Her vent area doesn’t look excoriated as vent gleet looks, but it won’t hurt to treat her for a fungal infection. Nystatin (sold as Medistatin powder) is good for gleet and fungal infection. You could get a feeding tube and tube feed her for a few days to see if she perks up. It is hard to know if she could have gleet, kidney, heart, or liver problems. Passing a lot of urates can make her smell of ammonia. Her droppings look green like she isn’t eating. Can you get an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (FishMox) or baytril, or do you have any problems using those? Baytril (10% enrofloxacin sold online) is banned for chickens, but is sometimes used for serious infections since it treats more bacteria. It requires a month long egg withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom