Labored, open-mouthed breathing.

Painted Calls

Still the Mayor
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
Just noticed that one of my 8/9 month old pullets is breathing very heavy. At first I thought she was panting. After watching her, it's evident she's not.

Gave her an exam. Eyes, nares, mouth/throat are clear. No wheezing or discharge. Checked abdomen and pelvic area. Didn't feel anything abnormal. She's not yet laying. She's a bit lethargic but still alert and able to get around. She came when called. Just very slowly.

I did notice that she had a VERY messy bottom. Just normal stool, maybe a bit loose. No unusual smell. I washed her bottom off.

Yesterday she acted completely normal. I did de-worm them with the proper dosage of Safeguard about 8 days ago after noticing a large roundworm in a dropping in her group's pen.

No new birds, no new anything. Everyone else is fine. I feed Flock Raiser free choice, oyster shell free choice and grit free choice. They always have fresh water available as well.

Any ideas what's going on? I put Nutri-drench in the water and direct dosed her as well. She didn't get quite the amount she needed (put up a struggle), but fairly close.

In person it is light green. Does not look like yolk at all. The photos certainly do make it look yellow!

She's still the same. Here is a pic I took just now.
View attachment 2127811

@Wyorp Rock your thoughts? Looks like vent gleet but 99% sure it's not. No weird smell.
That’s what I was worried about. I don’t know much about sicknesses so I won’t be much help from here on. Hope she gets well.

Should I go ahead and re-treat for worms? I was going to do it today, but didn't because of her current state.

Worms wouldn't cause these symptoms would they?

Do you happen to have a stethoscope? I would give her a good listen to make sure she's not experiencing a respiratory infection/disfunction. Sometimes if they start to have heart issues (not unheard of in younger birds, sadly) breathing can become labored.

I would keep a close eye on her comb color as an indicator on is she getting enough oxygen - and continue to check the abdominal area daily for any sign of ascities (waterbelly) which can be caused by heart/liver failure.

Maybe double check her vent to see whether she might have begun laying. Check to see if her pelvic bones are still close together (if they're inflexible and close she hasn't laid an egg yet) and see too if the vent has relaxed and become more of an oval shape. I mention this because as they start laying sometimes they'll have a shell-less egg that can break before it comes out. A little bit of a long shot but worth a look.

What breed is she? Most of my hens started laying around 20-26 weeks of age. I would worry that she might have something going on with her reproductive organs, causing infection. Heart issues might also be possible. I would start by getting some droppings checked for coccidiosis and bacteria by a fecal float and gram stain. Not all vets will agree to do that. Or treat for coccidiosis with Corid. She might have enteritis or an infection that antibiotics may treat. I am not one to recommend antibiotics when something is unknown, but this might be a case that giving something might help. She is very young to be so sick. I hope that you can figure out what her problem is.

Did you feel for an egg inside her vent with a clean finger? She is going to need oral fluids and food to survive, since her crop is empty. Here is a link about tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/
Temporarily, you can make a feeding tube with a 15 inch length of aquarium air tubing and a 35 ml syringe from your feed store. Melt the cut end of the feeding tube with a lighter to soften the sharp edges. This works for fluids, yogurt and finely gound feed that is mixed with water. Proper tubes may be found online and from a vet.

In person it is light green. Does not look like yolk at all. The photos certainly do make it look yellow!

She's still the same. Here is a pic I took just now.
20200507_194754.jpg

@Wyorp Rock your thoughts? Looks like vent gleet but 99% sure it's not. No weird smell.

8/9 month old pullets is breathing very heavy
She's not yet laying. She's a bit lethargic
I did de-worm them with the proper dosage of Safeguard about 8 days ago after noticing a large roundworm in a dropping in her group's pen.
In person it is light green
Should I go ahead and re-treat for worms? I was going to do it today, but didn't because of her current state.
How is she doing?

Photos of her poop?

The poop is light green on the feathers? Any chance feed got wet and molded?
I would check to see if there's an egg, feel her abdomen for bloat/fluid and see if her crop is empty this morning.

Treating roundworms with Fenbendazole, you treat once, then again in 10 days, I suppose you could do it early.
I would get her hydrated and eating.
The labored breathing is concerning - hard to know what's going on with her.

Back
Top Bottom