Labored, open-mouthed breathing.

Here's what he bought. Not sure how to use a suppository on a chicken if you should give orally.

20200508_120738.jpg

How many days should I try that before trying something different?

I just gave her part of a tums. She spit it out. I broke up more and sprinkled on her scrambled egg mash with the probiotics.

She's not interested in food or water now. When I gave her the tums, I picked her up to give it to her. When I set her back down she pushed like trying to poop and squeaked a little.

I'm at a loss. It presents as reproductive yet looks like gleet. I swear I didn't feel any egg or anything abnormal for that matter.

So frustrating and heartbreaking.

Did you feel for an egg inside her vent with a clean finger? She is going to need oral fluids and food to survive, since her crop is empty. Here is a link about tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/
Temporarily, you can make a feeding tube with a 15 inch length of aquarium air tubing and a 35 ml syringe from your feed store. Melt the cut end of the feeding tube with a lighter to soften the sharp edges. This works for fluids, yogurt and finely gound feed that is mixed with water. Proper tubes may be found online and from a vet.

Did you feel for an egg inside her vent with a clean finger? She is going to need oral fluids and food to survive, since her crop is empty. Here is a link about tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/
Temporarily, you can make a feeding tube with a 15 inch length of aquarium air tubing and a 35 ml syringe from your feed store. Melt the cut end of the feeding tube with a lighter to soften the sharp edges. This works for fluids, yogurt and finely gound feed that is mixed with water. Proper tubes may be found online and from a vet.
That is my next step. Giving her a bit of a break from my prodding.

I have experience syringe feeding parrot chicks, but that was YEARS ago.. I am sure I'll be rusty, but I'll study that thread. I'll report back!

Trying to find a syringe. I'm pretty sure I've got one here - for use with a peg tube in humans.

I have this. Would this work?

I might be able to make a marinade syringe work for now. Can't get to town until tomorrow.

20200508_145343.jpg 20200508_145349.jpg 20200508_145357.jpg

20200508_150609.jpg

I have this on hand. Not 35ml, but a 30. Going to go study that thread and give it a shot. I will have to modify the suction catheter, but I hope it works until I can get to town. :fl

What size is the red rubber catheter? You can probably jerry rig something to use. You can stretch tubing with needle nose pliers to make the opening bigger. Oxygen tubing works. I cannot remember what size feeding tube is best for a bantam. Perhaps a 10-12 french?

Back
Top Bottom