Laced Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Feb 3, 2007.

1. This Button is different from any of the colors I've hatched before.

[​IMG]

Hatched very dark (almost black) with yellow stripes.
    Any guesses what color it will be when mature?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    That is a very pretty color! You could name the color if it grows out and breeds true!

3. Mike_Winters

Mike_Winters Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    you could make some money off that quail if you can force that mutation to appear again by inbreeding and making a new breed

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Is it possible to buy quail and let them be free range? I talked to a guy from the State wildlife department about this and he said we'd be wasting our time as the domestic quail don't know anything and wouldn't be able to survive for long. I don't know if they would co-exist with our free range chickens, but the State guy didn't seem to think so. We'd like to get some, cause they are extinct in Ohio now and I miss hearing their calls.

5. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    the best thing i can recomend about quail is find a local hunting reservation that has quail and talk to them. They might even sell you some quail. Heres a website that could help you find a preserve near you. http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/Ohio.asp I would check and make sure you don't need a permit though. we found out here in TN we have to have one and if we have them shipped in we have to have an import permit (huge pain in the tookus) C

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    To get an idea about what the chick will look like as an adult visit http://www.cyberquail.com/. They have some pictures that might be helpful.

As far as free ranging... no... unfortunately quail do not return to roost. They might stay around in the general area for a while but its likely they'd fall prey to some wild animal.

7. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow this thread was made in 2007 it's like going back in time just kidding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by