Lacey is back for round two šŸ˜” - Reproductive issues

Update: Lacey is fighting like a trooper. Gave her a disk this afternoon, and her spirits seem to be up. We sat in the sun the air dry and she was still happy to forage around. She even did a flapping leap when the ring picked up. ā˜ŗļø Sheā€™s a trooper thatā€™s for sure. Eating done scrambled eggs and banana, preening, itā€™s a good afternoon for us. So far so good, Iā€™m hopeful for Lacey so far.
87C78C88-7B08-45A4-9684-C154C75D0912.jpeg

Update: Lacey is fighting like a trooper. Gave her a disk this afternoon, and her spirits seem to be up. We sat in the sun the air dry and she was still happy to forage around. She even did a flapping leap when the ring picked up. ā˜ŗļø Sheā€™s a trooper thatā€™s for sure. Eating done scrambled eggs and banana, preening, itā€™s a good afternoon for us. So far so good, Iā€™m hopeful for Lacey so far.
View attachment 3220998
Glad she's fighting on! So basically she's like this because she had a prolapse?

So Iā€™m back with a question. After keeping a close eye on Lacey for these last few days, Iā€™m actually starting to wonder if what Iā€™m actually dealing with us vent gleet like previously questioned. Im just not seeing any reproductive issue symptoms.
Vent gleet fits her symptoms perfectly.

-missing or soiled feathers around the vent āœ…

-sour crop āŒ

-red or swollen vent- can be bloody if severe case - I would say irritated vent āœ…

-loose stools āœ…

-decrease or cessation of egg laying āœ…

-depression āŒ

-decreased appetite or increased appetite - slightly decreased āœ…

-loss of weight āŒ

-Whitish patches/lesions in the mouth āŒ

-pasting of vent feathers āŒ

-swollen bloated abdomen - slightly and it comes and goes. āœ…

I think Iā€™m actually dealing with vent gleet rather than a reproductive issue. Which I am not unhappy about. :)

From what Iā€™ve read, itā€™s caused by a yeast infection. Iā€™m going to add ACV to her water which kills yeast, and give her a direct dose as well. Keep up with Oil of Oregano since it is an immune booster and should help kill yeast as well. I should have done fermented vegetables done by tomorrow, but I have done high quality soil based probiotics Iā€™ll give her too. I also know digestive enzymes given away from food will combat yeast, so Iā€™ll go that as well.
Iā€™ll use calendula cream around her vent and bathe daily.
Thoughts? Never combatted vent gleet before, but I much prefer it over a reproductive issue. ā˜ŗļø
Iā€™ll update as I go! Also, thank you @Tookie
For giving me that idea. Iā€™ll would have taken longer for me to figure that out had you not put that bug in my ear.

So Iā€™m back with a question. After keeping a close eye on Lacey for these last few days, Iā€™m actually starting to wonder if what Iā€™m actually dealing with us vent gleet like previously questioned. Im just not seeing any reproductive issue symptoms.
Vent gleet fits her symptoms perfectly.

-missing or soiled feathers around the vent āœ…

-sour crop āŒ

-red or swollen vent- can be bloody if severe case - I would say irritated vent āœ…

-loose stools āœ…

-decrease or cessation of egg laying āœ…

-depression āŒ

-decreased appetite or increased appetite - slightly decreased āœ…

-loss of weight āŒ

-Whitish patches/lesions in the mouth āŒ

-pasting of vent feathers āŒ

-swollen bloated abdomen - slightly and it comes and goes. āœ…

I think Iā€™m actually dealing with vent gleet rather than a reproductive issue. Which I am not unhappy about. :)

From what Iā€™ve read, itā€™s caused by a yeast infection. Iā€™m going to add ACV to her water which kills yeast, and give her a direct dose as well. Keep up with Oil of Oregano since it is an immune booster and should help kill yeast as well. I should have done fermented vegetables done by tomorrow, but I have done high quality soil based probiotics Iā€™ll give her too. I also know digestive enzymes given away from food will combat yeast, so Iā€™ll go that as well.
Iā€™ll use calendula cream around her vent and bathe daily.
Thoughts? Never combatted vent gleet before, but I much prefer it over a reproductive issue. ā˜ŗļø
Iā€™ll update as I go! Also, thank you @Tookie
For giving me that idea. Iā€™ll would have taken longer for me to figure that out had you not put that bug in my ear.
It does sound like vent gleet, glad I mentioned it! Your treatment plan sounds good! I would use the ACV, greek yogurt, and garlic. Make sure to keep her clean as possible, you may want to do epsom salt baths. I use homeopathy too, so do use the calendula. There is also homeopathy pellets called candida albicans, its used for yeast infections, you could get that.

It does sound like vent gleet, glad I mentioned it! Your treatment plan sounds good! I would use the ACV, greek yogurt, and garlic. Make sure to keep her clean as possible, you may want to do epsom salt baths. I use homeopathy too, so do use the calendula. There is also homeopathy pellets called candida albicans, its used for yeast infections, you could get that.
Thanks! Iā€™ll start garlic tomorrow.
So far Iā€™ve got ACV, probiotics, garlic. Doing radon salt soaks can calendula salve topically. I have a tincture too, in this case us if helpful orally? Itā€™s an anti inflammatory.
Awesome! Iā€™ll see if I can get ahold if that. How to you dose it? I usually dissolve the human dose in a dropper, then give a dose of that every 15 minutes until I see improvement. Should I do it that way or differently in this case?

Updated photos before you clean her up?
Does the discharge smell yeasty?

I would give her plain fresh water, plain fresh feed. Let her out and roam with her flock. Keep watch on her and monitor her but let her do her chicken thing.

I might be missing something. Let's bring you back to reality here. I don't see Vent Gleet. I see a hen that is recovering from severely damaged tissue and prolapse about 4wks or so in. It takes time for things to get back to "normal" if they ever really do. The scabbing is possibly residual from the original damage. A damaged vent/cloaca will often leak. Give it time to heal. If you need to do anything, apply a bit of barrier cream under the vent to help keep urates from sticking and burning the skin.

My 2Ā¢

Your Photos. One is from about a month ago to now. She's still healing, give her time.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bantam-hen-with-bloody-discharge-coming-from-vent.1537237/
1660360143820.jpeg

Thanks! Iā€™ll start garlic tomorrow.
So far Iā€™ve got ACV, probiotics, garlic. Doing radon salt soaks can calendula salve topically. I have a tincture too, in this case us if helpful orally? Itā€™s an anti inflammatory.
Awesome! Iā€™ll see if I can get ahold if that. How to you dose it? I usually dissolve the human dose in a dropper, then give a dose of that every 15 minutes until I see improvement. Should I do it that way or differently in this case?
Not sure about the tincture.
For the pellets I just pop them in the mouth, I give 3 at a time about 2 or 3 times a day. Candida albicans can also help with sour crop.

I
Updated photos before you clean her up?
Does the discharge smell yeasty?

I would give her plain fresh water, plain fresh feed. Let her out and roam with her flock. Keep watch on her and monitor her but let her do her chicken thing.

I might be missing something. Let's bring you back to reality here. I don't see Vent Gleet. I see a hen that is recovering from severely damaged tissue and prolapse about 4wks or so in. It takes time for things to get back to "normal" if they ever really do. The scabbing is possibly residual from the original damage. A damaged vent/cloaca will often leak. Give it time to heal. If you need to do anything, apply a bit of barrier cream under the vent to help keep urates from sticking and burning the skin.

My 2Ā¢

Your Photos. One is from about a month ago to now. She's still healing, give her time.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bantam-hen-with-bloody-discharge-coming-from-vent.1537237/
View attachment 3221223
I agree they sheā€™s still healing. Itā€™s a slow process, and sheā€™s definitely not done yet.

I want to say the discharge smells sour, fermented might be a good word, definitely not normal chicken poop smell. That was what concerned me originally, and has me now thinking vent gleet.

Hereā€™s a pic, the discharge is white and almost crystally.
9F836117-BF5F-44A1-80CA-BEFB82E25A87.jpeg

She has a bowl of plain and ACV water, probiotics, and digestive enzymes.

I could be jumping to conclusions, just glad this is not round two, and would be happy to be wrong about it. šŸ™‚ Thsnks so much for the input, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom