1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lacey the Light Sussex chick has really weird wing feathers!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nonny, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Are these normal? ALl the other chicks (different breeds) have wing feathers that grow in the same direction all nice and even, but Lacey's look like she's been ruffled the wrong way and got stuck there! She's just on 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I'm new to chickens so my advice is iffy but when I got my geese 5 years ago I was warned about a condition called "anglewing" that is caused by to much protien in their diet. When I read up on it that is what the condition looked like. I'm not sure if chickens can get anglewing but you might do a search for it and see if that is what it is. Also some breeds of chicken carry a frizzle gene that makes them ruffley looking. Could this be the case [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for those ideas... I've checked both and it doesn't seem that angelwings is something chickens get, and I can't find a single reference to light sussex with a frizzle gene, and all teh pics of frizzle chicks have feathered feet and the only white ones are cochin frizzles which don't have any black on them at all (Lacey has a few black spots on her feathers).

I'm stumped. Maybe it's just a random thing that will sort itself out as they grow?

4. Frizzle is a gene as you know so any chicken should be able to get it, just type sussex frizzle chicken and you should get some pictures of chickens who are not feather footed who are frizzle

I'd say shes a frizzle

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have a frizzle rooster that looked just like that - he's all white with black specks - when he was given to me, I was told he was a buff orpington because he was YELLOW when he hatched, then turned white and frizzled out
    Pretty bird

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Look at this pic I found [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It has clean feet so you might just have a frizzle [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    LOL! My man said it looks like it was just electrocuted!

8. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    My daughter had a white pillow-pet thingy and when it came out of the dryer it looked just like the white chicken in the post above!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by