Lack of Natural Selection

PassifloraCaninus

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2018
I am posting this because I am curious to see if anybody else has the same concerns about the long term effects the lack of natural selection from the NPIP brings. Instead of breeding for stronger birds, people kill all of them when they show signs of sickness. I personally have a closed flock, and they have been diagnosed with at least MG. Three generations later, and I have hybrids with a stable MG resistance throughout the flock. In the past I wanted to sell poultry, but I'll never do it because that means I would have to breed a weak bird that is highly susceptible to everything. I'd rather have my own flock of strong and healthy birds, than have a flock that could die from a bird pooping on them from above.

Welcome to BYC.

I also think that culling for MG/similar diseases is not the correct path to take. I think it's unethical to keep birds with highly contagious and deadly diseases, or ones that can potentially be transmitted to humans, but mild respiratory issues? That's never going to be eradicated, and breeding through it is the only way out, IMO. Even if your flock is clean, they shouldn't need to be babied to survive, for sure.

NPIP doesn't include MG as necessary in any state I know of. Unless I'm mistaken, only AI and/or PT are required, and both of those are nasty, nasty things to have.

Last edited:
Egg shaped welcome.jpg

It is great having you here!

NPIP is not always about multiple diseases. Some only test for pulloreum

Last edited:
I have said this for over a decade and will continue to do so, to anyone involved. NPIP though has its good intentions, really isn't in my opinion necessarily the best. I've had more breeders tell me everyone else is just backyard breeding if you are not 'trying to improve the birds.' I don't find having giant balls of feathers and fluff with proper coloration an acceptable tradeoff generally speaking. Chickens should be breed for resilience, tolerance to climates, resistance, broodiness, alertness, laying ability and health foremost and before anything else. Really why I've moved more towards Landraces in my later years, they figure it out themselves and you still get amazing birds. Culling a bird for poor tail angle, that's really a thing. I've left a number of breeder groups for the above reasons. It's a shallow and superficial world I fully believe if you are doing anything but that.

Back
Top Bottom