Ladder roost question

Quote:
Yes they can! I have the ladder for my younger hens that need to get used to the roosts. Ameraucanas and Wyandottes can fly rather well. The light Bramas are the largest but they should not have any problems getting 30" up.

Nate

Quote:
I have pretty much decided to go with your basic idea, except for a couple of details. First, I am going to lay the 2 x 4 on it's side, so that the wide part is facing up. That will give my birds a much better place to sit on their feet. Second, I will probably not use an access ladder. The end of the roost will be next to a small ledge they will be using to access the small portion of the coop that will contain the nest boxes. They should be able to use that same ledge to access the roost with relative ease.

That's sounds good! I put them with the 2 inch side up because I didn't want them to sag. It doesn't usually get really cold here but it has before. Good luck and let us know how is goes!

Nate

Just a quick update to get some more opinions. I had intended to go with 2x4's laid on their side for the roost, but I was just given more than enough 2x6's to build the roost. I know that is overkill, even for Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons, but I should still be able to use them, shouldn't I? I don't have a way to safely rip them into more narrow sections, so I am planning to use the entire 2x6, unless someone advises me different. One thing for sure, they should have plenty of space for their feet.

I ripped 2x4's in half and used them. Just sand the side they are going to stand on so it's nice and smooth for them.

54272_img_0926.jpg

Edit..... they only use the top roost in my coop lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom