Lady Amherst breeding

Barnyard Breeder

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Western New York
Hello I started this to discuss all aspects of lady Amherst breeding and experiences. My first question is how is their fertility first year. Should I bother trying to hatch eggs in an incubator or just go with my goldens and let the Amherst try to incubate their first year

Why would they Not go broody
They have been in confinement for so long they have lost the instincts, due to their eggs being taken away and artificially being incubated.
It's rare if it does occur...I've had a few of my True pheasants go broody but I have not had an Amherst or Golden go broody.
Even the true's were 'iffy' some would set a clutch then abandon it a few days later or set, then half way through would abandon the nest. A few did managed to set and hatch the chicks but abandoned the chicks as soon as they hatched.

They have been in confinement for so long they have lost the instincts, due to their eggs being taken away and artificially being incubated.
It's rare if it does occur...I've had a few of my True pheasants go broody but I have not had an Amherst or Golden go broody.
Even the true's were 'iffy' some would set a clutch then abandon it a few days later or set, then half way through would abandon the nest. A few did managed to set and hatch the chicks but abandoned the chicks as soon as they hatched.
Well that’s not normal. Pheasants should go broody. If almost all other poultry types will then pheasants the closest to wild will. The parents of my birds went broody and hatched

Back
Top Bottom