Lady Amherst Care Please.

Airedale

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
I am thinking of starting to raise birds, and these BEAUTIFUL birds keep catching my eye. But I need more info on them. The info I have found is limited to say the least.

1. How large of a run/aviary would a pair of them need to be?

2. What is the minimum space required for each bird?

3. What type of feed do they need?

4. How do I build their aviary?

5. How cold resistant are they?

6. What is a good website/company to purchase them from?

7. Do any of you have books, or other info sources I can look at?

Thank you,

Jim AKA Airedale

Here is a good site. http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/amherst.html
Hope
this helps. I do know someone that has his (up to 4 birds) in a 10X10 pen and they are cold hardy. At least here in TN. Hasnt been cold enough to bother them yet. Its been down to 3* at night. He feeds his game bird feed. As far as the aviary, he has 10x10 chain link dog lots, with chicken wire over the tops. And 3 or 4 ft of them top has tin on it. They do just fine.

I will try my best

1. How large of a run/aviary would a pair of them need to be?
I keep my trio in a 10 x 20 pen

2. What is the minimum space required for each bird?
I would suggest they have a larger pen because they are somewhat flighty and the males tail needs more room

3. What type of feed do they need?
Basic game bird feed

4. How do I build their aviary?
What I did is put some posts in the ground then went around it with 4' welded wire and 2' chicken wire at the top. I covered the top with netting I got on ebay. I planted many bushes in the pen and put some dead trees in the pen for them to hide in/perch on

5. How cold resistant are they?
They did just fine here in Northeastern Washington when we down to -20

6. What is a good website/company to purchase them from?
There are many sites. I would suggest checking GBWF's forum because there are some great birds that people sell there and they know what they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom