Lady Amhersts?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 9, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    When and how can you sex Lady Amherst Pheasents?
    I have one about that is about 6-8 weeks old and was also curious as to when, if male, they start getting their color in?
    TIA

2. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Hi. I'm new to pheasants myself. I have a pair of red goldens. Mine are about 3 months old and the male is starting to get colored feathers. Also males have blue eyes, females brown. I think you should be able to tell very soon if it is 2 months old. By 3 I think it should be pretty obvious. If it's starting to color it's male.

3. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    I always go by spurs, males usually start developing a small button where the spurs will be. Very rare a female will have this, but once in a blue moon one will.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    eye color as mentioned is the best way to tell, pros can do it at hatch time, by now a bind man should be able to see the difference though, either it's a chocolate brown eyed hen, or it isnt.

No ruffed species ( goldens and amherst) will color up til they are 2 years old though.
    On red gold, the males do get a reddish tint to the brown body and hens stay a nice mild chocolate color, at 1 year they'll have traces of adult color, but to be a full blown beautiful male, they all take 2 years as do many other ornamental pheasant species.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by