Lady Amhersts?

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
When and how can you sex Lady Amherst Pheasents?
I have one about that is about 6-8 weeks old and was also curious as to when, if male, they start getting their color in?
TIA

Hi. I'm new to pheasants myself. I have a pair of red goldens. Mine are about 3 months old and the male is starting to get colored feathers. Also males have blue eyes, females brown. I think you should be able to tell very soon if it is 2 months old. By 3 I think it should be pretty obvious. If it's starting to color it's male.

I always go by spurs, males usually start developing a small button where the spurs will be. Very rare a female will have this, but once in a blue moon one will.

eye color as mentioned is the best way to tell, pros can do it at hatch time, by now a bind man should be able to see the difference though, either it's a chocolate brown eyed hen, or it isnt.

No ruffed species ( goldens and amherst) will color up til they are 2 years old though.
On red gold, the males do get a reddish tint to the brown body and hens stay a nice mild chocolate color, at 1 year they'll have traces of adult color, but to be a full blown beautiful male, they all take 2 years as do many other ornamental pheasant species.

Back
Top Bottom