Lady sleeping on the coop floor

Nov 15, 2020
I have one hen, I'm assuming it's the same one, that seems to be sleeping on the coop floor a lot. I check on em every couple nights after they go in and there is always on in a corner under the other birds.

Is this something to worry about?
Why does she sleep in the floor?

Thank you

Do you have plenty of room on the roost for everyone with room to spare?
Does it get too dark before she get get on the roost?
Is she the bottom of the pecking order?
What breed is she?

Do you have plenty of room on the roost for everyone with room to spare?
Does it get too dark before she get get on the roost?
Is she the bottom of the pecking order?
What breed is she?
Yes, There are 2 2x4 spanning the coop (5 feet)
It's dusk by the time they go in usually, and the coop is dark, but not pitch black then.
I'm, not sure it she is the bottom of the pecking order. I watch them, but not that much lol
She is a Sex link (the other sex ling I have roots fine)

Have you inspected her for any injuries or feet problems, and lice/mites?
At night is the best time to do this so you can catch them without stressing them out. I use a headlamp on my head so that I can part the feathers to look for anything.
I have not. They all run around fine (they are free rang in the back yard)
What should I be looking for?

Little lice at the vent, under the chin, and under the wings that quickly run when you part the feathers to look for them.
And any cuts, swollen joints, bruises, dirty butts, and bumblefoot on the bottom on her feet.
I assume by vent, you mean the butt area.... Sorry, this is my first year with chickens...
Also, what is bumblefoot? EDIT: NVM, did a quick search

Last edited:
Yes, There are 2 2x4 spanning the coop (5 feet)

5' of roost for how many birds? Have you tried physically placing her on the roost, and if so, what happens?

If it's not a physical problem with your bird, then it's possible she's being bossed off by others, even if there is roost space left to spare.

5' of roost for how many birds? Have you tried physically placing her on the roost, and if so, what happens?

If it's not a physical problem with your bird, then it's possible she's being bossed off by others, even if there is roost space left to spare.
2 (two) 2x4's spanning 5 feet. 10 liner feet of roots space.
No, I have not tried putter her on the root. I will tonight.
I looked at her feet. No visible or apparent redness or swelling. They look good. Vent area is pinkish. No visible issues with feathers or wings.

2 (two) 2x4's spanning 5 feet. 10 liner feet of roots space.
No, I have not tried putter her on the root. I will tonight.
I looked at her feet. No visible or apparent redness or swelling. They look good. Vent area is pinkish. No visible issues with feathers or wings.

Ah, ok. 10'. How many birds do you have in this space?

Back
Top Bottom