laid 4 eggs and stopped, is this normal?

bncranch

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Naples, FL
My 21 week old hen started to lay, she layed 1 egg every 28 to 32 hours. Did this for 4 eggs, now its been over 48 hours and no eggs.Is tthis normal when they first started to lay eggs. Please help

It is not unusual for pullets to stop and start when they first start laying. They are just getting their egg laying system up to gear. They also lay odd eggs at times, double eggs, shell less eggs, weird shaped eggs etc. Even good consistent older layers will sometimes skip a day or so here and there. Your girl was doing very well when she laid four eggs in a row.

It's very normal for laying to be sporadic the first few months. Plus weird shells or no shells, double yolks, no yolks, things like that are all good.

Just seems weird that she started laying and now its been 4 days with nothing. Worried something might b wrong. The hen is acting perfectly normal eating and drinking.. they have the ability to free range but im keeping them in today to see if she is hiding the eggs

I am having the same issue. This is the first time we have had chickens so I don't know what is normal. We have 6 hens and one started laying. She laid 4 days in a row and then nothing at all. It has been about 10 days. We have kept them in the pen to see if she was hiding them nothing. She acts, eats and drinks fine.

Back
Top Bottom