1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laid egg with no shell, or egg broke inside of hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Branman1971, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Branman1971

Branman1971 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I have been giving my flock antibiotics cause one hen had a respiritory infection, (i think). She has been gurgling when breathing but has gotten much better over the last 4 days. Last night she would not go into the coop with the other birds and I went to shoo her into the coop. Directly under her rear end was a pile that looked like someone cracked and egg open to fry it and there was no shell or pieces of shell that I could see. Is there a way to tell is she produced an egg with no shell or if she has a cracked egg shell inside of her? I have read about the lubricating and warm baths, and will try that tonight if she seems like she is not doing well. Thank you!

2. [​IMG]

Has she been laying already or is this the first out of the shoot?

3. Branman1971

Branman1971 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm not sure. I "rescued" 9 birds with various issues but I can say that I haven't seen her in the nesting box. I guess it could be the first egg. She seems totally fine tonight. Scratching and eating.

4. The first egg laid by a pullet can be as you described. Shell less eggs are sure funny looking but quite normal in first time layers. This can still happen in an older hen as well.

Good job on taking care of the birds. It's is rewarding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by