laid first egg now wont leave the nest

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
my leghorn layed her first egg today and is now sitting in my dom hens nest and wont get out lol she thinks she is hot stuff i guess. should i mover her or let her be?

Leave her alone for now, but if she stays on the nest for more than three hours after about four weeks push her off. That's what I do to keep my one hen from going broody. Just be careful though....they get a little cranky if you take them off the nest.

I would let her be. I love chickens for a lot of reasons. One of which is they are entertaining to say the least with their behavior. If yours likes to sit the nest for a spell then that is kinda the make up of that hen. Let her be a little neurotic if she wishes. She will probably get over it after a few eggs have been laid.

Congrats on the first egg!
thumbsup.gif

As soon as my EE lays and leaves the nest, the speckled sussex goes straight in and lays on the egg for about an hour.

You won't have trouble, all the other girls will come and give her eggs and she will take them. If she is a new broody then in a few days she will get up and walk away, maybe someone else will take her place or set with her. You are the one in trouble, no good eggs for you
barnie.gif
Mark her eggs or she will sit on 30 or more just making a mess. Give it three days and if she does not give up move her where other hens can not give her any more eggs with food and water. She will eat and poop once a day
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
my eggs are good you have me confused with someone else lol'
She is not broody I think she is just figuring out this whole egg laying thing

Back
Top Bottom