1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. BradnKellie

BradnKellie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Highland City, FL
    My coop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built this last January. I am currently adding on. We live in Polk County near Highland City. Have 5 Black Stars and 2 Araucanas. Just moved 6 RIR into my new outdoor brooder pen and have Butler Bob Whites in the incubator.

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG] and nice coop! from Ocala, Fl!
    I hope you enjoy this website! There is a bunch of helpful people

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Welcome from Polk City!!

4. TheHippyGardener

TheHippyGardener New Egg

Dec 31, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    Hey! I'm in Lakeland, FL too. And brand new to this forum. Good to see our town listed here in the forums. I love the coop you made. We can't have chickens in our neighborhood, though I want them badly. The next house we live in I will make sure we are allowed chickens.

Anyway, just saying Hi really. [​IMG]

5. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Howdy, neighbour!

We, 2 adults, 18 chickens, 9 ducks, dog and a cat are happily sharing an acre of land in North Lakeland.

Before we purchased the property, I specifically called zoning and verified that chickens, AND roosters are allowed, and even have an email response from them as evidence. Their letter is pretty vague though, it only says that "Polk county does not enforce deed restrictions", which we don't have, deed restrictions that is.

My roos are only three months old now, so we'll see when they start crowing. My goal though (in order not to upset the neighbours) is to have a roo sleep in a pet carrier in a laundry room. We'll see how that works out.

6. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    HI! I'm in Lakeland too......I'm a 3 month newbee and I am actually helping some breeders for the knowledge. I hope to become a breeder of ornamentals, especially Silkies, Sulans, and Polish....and Bantams ( I have an eye for a little bantam buff orpington, he follows me around the coops and he will sit on my shoulder) I just love those little bantam roo's (any kind) So small, but so much fight. :)

7. Mindychick

Mindychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Hi from St. Petersburg,

Welcome from a fellow Floridian, and chicken keeper. [​IMG]

8. tha5150

tha5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2015
    Looking for chickens to buy to add on in south Lakeland. Anyone on this post still around?

9. askinann

askinann New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    I am in Highlands County and just found out from local zoning office my property is zoned R1 residential and no chickens allowed. Not happy.

10. MommyHenny

MommyHenny New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Does anyone know a good hatchery in polk county? I am specifically looking for Easter egger hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by