Lakeshore Eggers Question

tootmany

Songster
Mar 14, 2018
SD
Hey! Wondering if anyone has some day old/first week pictures of their lakeshore eggers? I know they will be a pretty mixed lot since they are mixed breed, but I'd love to see some possibilities!

For anyone unfamiliar with lakeshore, they are a Meyer hatchery special mix known for their greenish eggs.

Thanks for your time :love

My surviving Lakeshore Egger:

3 days:
LS-3 days.jpg

10 days:
LS-10 days.jpg

4 weeks:
LS-4 weeks.jpg

I lost 2 others. One DOA on the original shipment. The replacement also died when she was 4 days old. Both of them failed to thrive.

Hey! Wondering if anyone has some day old/first week pictures of their lakeshore eggers? I know they will be a pretty mixed lot since they are mixed breed, but I'd love to see some possibilities!

For anyone unfamiliar with lakeshore, they are a Meyer hatchery special mix known for their greenish eggs.

Thanks for your time :love
How did your lakeshore egger turn out? Do you have pictures of the eggs or the fully grown chicken? I'm thinking of getting more colored egg layers from Meyer

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I stumbled across it and wanted to comment as I have Lakeshore Eggers and I know it's not a very common breed and figured others might also be interested... I have attached a couple of pictures - the 2 "blondes" are my Lakeshores when they were pullets. The green eggs in the egg pictures are from one of them. The other one has never laid green eggs - hers were always a light peach color (but same size and shape as the green ones).

They are the smallest hens we have, but they lay the biggest eggs. The one that lays the green eggs is the best layer we have (she's the one with more gray in her feathers). She laid all through her second winter - not every day, but most days, even during her molt - poor thing! While I love the beautiful green eggs, I would not choose this breed again for several reasons.

1. They're a pain in the butt! Only 3 of our chickens have ever escaped from their pen. Two of them are the Lakeshore's, and by far the most frequent of all the escapees. Not only do they like to fly over things (they are very light and have long, thin bodies), but they are also fast as lightning and nearly impossible to catch - even as chicks! Despite the fact that they have been handled more than almost any of our other chickens due to all their health problems (more on that below), and even feeding them out of my hand often, one of them remains so skittish that I always have to nab her off the roost at night and confine her in a crate for any issues even if they aren't serious, as otherwise I would never be able to get my hands on her. She acts like I'm trying to kill her if I even move in her direction!

2.) They always have problems. Over the past 3 years that we've had chickens, there've been a few health issues (bumblefoot, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, etc.). The Lakeshores have had most of these. The peach egg layer stopped laying normal eggs last fall (after laying for about 1 year), and since then has only had internal laying or soft-shelled eggs (she's currently finishing up a course of antibiotics due to suspected peritonitis and her abdomen remains swollen). The one that lays green eggs has laid soft or shell-less eggs only a couple of times, but has also had bumblefoot, plus a torn and/or slightly prolapsed vent a few times now. I've heard this is likely to get worse as she gets older.

3.) Not healthy overall. They both seem to have thin/fragile feathers, so they quickly get beaten up with bare backs and always look disheveled. The green egg layer didn't molt fully this winter, so she still has old ratty looking feathers from last year, and her back is already getting bare again from the rooster's attentions. With their long combs and thin feathers and bodies, they deal better with the heat, but aren't very comfortable in our Ohio winters. Thankfully, only one got slight frostbite on her comb this winter. I feel bad for them as I'm sure the constant laying has a lot to do with their poor feather production and other general issues. It's just so much stress on their bodies!

I feed plenty of protein, but after seeing what they go through, I feel guilty having production breeds, and will try to avoid these in the future. I do love the pretty eggs, but may try a hardier breed like an Americauna or something like that in the future.

Just my experience, and maybe others have had better luck with this breed...

Chickens-5.JPG
Eggs-1.JPG
Eggs-3.JPG

I'm sorry to hear about your chicks, but I'm glad that one survived. Your chickens are so cute! Do you have any pics of the fully grown hen and her eggs?
She laid a large green egg and she was a big girl.
I lost her to complications from vent gleet. I would never purchase this breed again. But she was truly a lovely hen. Her name was Seneca.
IMG_20210122_155113928_PORTRAIT.jpg

The breed has been discontinued, I think. I have 4 that I got in September 2021, 3 lay green eggs and 1 lays brown. The brown egg layer has gone broody and she’s sitting successfully so far.

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I stumbled across it and wanted to comment as I have Lakeshore Eggers and I know it's not a very common breed and figured others might also be interested... I have attached a couple of pictures - the 2 "blondes" are my Lakeshores when they were pullets. The green eggs in the egg pictures are from one of them. The other one has never laid green eggs - hers were always a light peach color (but same size and shape as the green ones).

They are the smallest hens we have, but they lay the biggest eggs. The one that lays the green eggs is the best layer we have (she's the one with more gray in her feathers). She laid all through her second winter - not every day, but most days, even during her molt - poor thing! While I love the beautiful green eggs, I would not choose this breed again for several reasons.

1. They're a pain in the butt! Only 3 of our chickens have ever escaped from their pen. Two of them are the Lakeshore's, and by far the most frequent of all the escapees. Not only do they like to fly over things (they are very light and have long, thin bodies), but they are also fast as lightning and nearly impossible to catch - even as chicks! Despite the fact that they have been handled more than almost any of our other chickens due to all their health problems (more on that below), and even feeding them out of my hand often, one of them remains so skittish that I always have to nab her off the roost at night and confine her in a crate for any issues even if they aren't serious, as otherwise I would never be able to get my hands on her. She acts like I'm trying to kill her if I even move in her direction!

2.) They always have problems. Over the past 3 years that we've had chickens, there've been a few health issues (bumblefoot, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, etc.). The Lakeshores have had most of these. The peach egg layer stopped laying normal eggs last fall (after laying for about 1 year), and since then has only had internal laying or soft-shelled eggs (she's currently finishing up a course of antibiotics due to suspected peritonitis and her abdomen remains swollen). The one that lays green eggs has laid soft or shell-less eggs only a couple of times, but has also had bumblefoot, plus a torn and/or slightly prolapsed vent a few times now. I've heard this is likely to get worse as she gets older.

3.) Not healthy overall. They both seem to have thin/fragile feathers, so they quickly get beaten up with bare backs and always look disheveled. The green egg layer didn't molt fully this winter, so she still has old ratty looking feathers from last year, and her back is already getting bare again from the rooster's attentions. With their long combs and thin feathers and bodies, they deal better with the heat, but aren't very comfortable in our Ohio winters. Thankfully, only one got slight frostbite on her comb this winter. I feel bad for them as I'm sure the constant laying has a lot to do with their poor feather production and other general issues. It's just so much stress on their bodies!

I feed plenty of protein, but after seeing what they go through, I feel guilty having production breeds, and will try to avoid these in the future. I do love the pretty eggs, but may try a hardier breed like an Americauna or something like that in the future.

Just my experience, and maybe others have had better luck with this breed...

View attachment 3123437View attachment 3123439View attachment 3123440
Great feedback.

My girl laid huge tan with pink bloom. I was disappointed about the non-green egg but moved on to Silverudd’s Blue and have plenty of greens now!

Back
Top Bottom