lamancha doeling w diarrhea- please help

RyRy2

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Canastota, NY
New to goats and picked up a 3 week old doeling last weekend, we've gone back and forth with solid stools, mostly they've been soft. she is happy, energetic little girl and I want to keep her that way. Raising her w whole cows milk and after the first few days she seemed to straighten out, but last night she was soft again, today hubby put them outside for a few hours and now she is liquid.. no smell, no bloody discharge or anything like that, but yellowish green liquid stool... any ideas?

Is her temp running normal? Are you open to taking a fecal sample to your vet?
For kids over one month old the most common causes are worms or coccidia - but the possible causes can run the spectrum and it's much easier to treat when you know what it is you are treating.

Have to wait till hubby gets home to take temp, will a horse thermometer work? Vet doesn't have Saturday hours but yeah I could take one in Monday morning... wasn't sure if like w horses, fresh spring grass on top of already sensitive tummy could be problem..

Have to wait till hubby gets home to take temp, will a horse thermometer work? Vet doesn't have Saturday hours but yeah I could take one in Monday morning... wasn't sure if like w horses, fresh spring grass on top of already sensitive tummy could be problem..

She is three weeks old. Not enough of her diet will be made of fresh, green spring grass to make enough of a difference.

How much are you feeding her each feeding? How many feedings is she getting per day? How much does she weigh?

You absolutely need to assess a temperature. How big is a horse thermometer? One sized for dogs works well on goats.

Milk scours is what comes to mind. Also, because she is three weeks old, she is now old enough for coccidia to now be a problem.

Breeder told us 20oz 3xs a day, and she sucks down every drop, usually looking for more... horse thermometer is any same size as dog one so as soon as he gets home tonight we will go take her temp.. It'll take my scale down w me to get her actual weight, but I would guess around 20 lbs.

I have two suggestions. Kaopectate in the bottle will take care of a minor case of scours. I have also found acidopholis to be helpful. It is a beneficial bacteria. You can find it it liquid form at health food stores and in the health food/dairy section of larger supermarkets. Just add some to her bottle.

Breeder told us 20oz 3xs a day, and she sucks down every drop, usually looking for more... horse thermometer is any same size as dog one so as soon as he gets home tonight we will go take her temp.. It'll take my scale down w me to get her actual weight, but I would guess around 20 lbs.

To me, it sounds like she is actually being fed far too much if she indeed does weigh 20lbs. They can eat too much, they don't know when to stop sometimes. This chart is actually quite helpful in calculating how much a kid should be eating.

Last edited:
Wow, that chart is great.. thank u so much, you reiterated what I was already thinking from my research before I got them, but figured I should follow the breeders recommendation.. I weighed her this morning before I fed her and she is only any 16 lbs, I drastically reduced the amount of milk she is getting and she already seems to be doing better (butt is clean and while she was energetic b4, she is more so tonight)

Back
Top Bottom