lame bird

EinStein chic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
HI, I am having trouble trying to diagnose what is wrong with one of my hens. She is acting really lame but showing no other obvious signs. It is not parasites because there is no blood in her stool. One of my other birds experienced these symptoms and died the other day. What is odd is the fact that she feels top heavy when you pick her up. I don't know what this is and in despite need to know. Thanks

HI, I am having trouble trying to diagnose what is wrong with one of my hens. She is acting really lame but showing no other obvious signs. It is not parasites because there is no blood in her stool. One of my other birds experienced these symptoms and died the other day. What is odd is the fact that she feels top heavy when you pick her up. I don't know what this is and in despite need to know. Thanks

Welcome to BYC! If you can please post a picture of the stool and of the chicken that will help us and others. Just because there's no blood in the stool doesn't mean there are no parasites.

I would I do not have a working camera at the moment. The stool looks completely she just acts really lethargic. I have never seen anything like it.

I would I do not have a working camera at the moment. The stool looks completely she just acts really lethargic. I have never seen anything like it.

It's solid? If it's solid then chances are that this is early and can still be treated with little to no worries. I would recommend as a precaution worm your chickens. If this is a small case of parasites you can probably take care of it by feeding your chicken onion, garlic, or pumpkin seeds. These are natural wormers that I use in my flock. They can make great dewormers because they contain different varieties of sulfur and high levels that parasites can't withstand. Also check near the base of her feathers near the vent, face, wing pits. If she has external parasites they will be there.

Do you mean "lame' as in trouble walking? I believe you said another had the same symptoms and died. Have you read about "Marek's disease? Please post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Have you posted in the emergencies thread as drumstick diva suggested. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people there.

Back
Top Bottom