Lame Chick

MichelleT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Denver, CO
Hello everyone! Bleeding heart chicken and bunny lover here. I just got a text from a friend of mine that her cousin has about 40 chickens and one of her "4ish week old" chicks has a leg problem. The cousin isn't willing to take the chick to a vet, so I said I'd do some research and see what I could find out. Here's what the original text said:
"She was injured when she got home. All of the other chickens are fine. I think she got injured in the brooder. The houdans would always get REALLY excited and start "flying" around the brooder when I came to feed them. I'm wondering if she landed on it wrong or something. I've been reading up on splay leg and tendon issues, but I don't know enough to diagnose either of those. I gave nutridrench and electrolytes for the past 4 days, and now I'm just doing the electrolytes. The woman and Murdoch's told me to give her 1/4 to 1/3 of a baby aspirin crushed up in 5 ml of water, and I don't know if that helped or not. I'll give her more this evening."

I have some more questions to ask her (like how long has this been going on now?) and I'm trying to get a video or at least some photos.

With my flock I haven't dealt with much in the way of injury. Illness, yes, but injury ... not yet. I'm happy to take a look at the bird and help her out (she's not far from me), but I don't know what I'm looking for.

What would you suggest that I look for, and depending on what I find, what treatment?
Thanks a ton!
~Michelle

Here are some photos of what she's got.
IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom