Lame chicken after IM injection

I will start by saying I am not a vet.
In one of your photos it looks like she is keeping her foot down on her own, if not bearing some weight -albeit with wing support. This would rule out tendon rupture.--see edit!
Nerve trauma from the injection is most likely.
As @Eggcessive advised, perform some repetitive range of motion to leg, hock, toes several times a day to keep muscles and joints supple as she heals. Set her on her feet after doing the range of motion so she can relearn balance. If she doesn't seem like she's in pain try luring her with food or treats to take a few steps. Time is what she needs and nerve injuries can take several months to heal. Others with more knowledge about trauma in poultry may weight in--if so follow their advice. My advice is based on human trauma and treatment, but the basics are the same. Keep us posted.

EDIT: after videos- she truly had no ability to bear weight, no reflexes, and leg was not able to be pulled down to the length of the other. Tendon rupture, severed nerve are possible- certainly there is nerve damage without reflexes.
Lets get some other opinions here: @azygous @Wyorp Rock -pics and videos in original post.

Last edited:
I will start by saying I am not a vet.
In one of your photos it looks like she is keeping her foot down on her own, if not bearing some weight -albeit with wing support. This would rule out tendon rupture.
Nerve trauma from the injection is most likely.
As @Eggcessive advised, perform some repetitive range of motion to leg, hock, toes several times a day to keep muscles and joints supple as she heals. Set her on her feet after doing the range of motion so she can relearn balance. If she doesn't seem like she's in pain try luring her with food or treats to take a few steps. Time is what she needs and nerve injuries can take several months to heal. Others with more knowledge about trauma in poultry may weight in--if so follow their advice. My advice is based on human trauma and treatment, but the basics are the same. Keep us posted.
Thank you so much. She definitely will stand on her right leg. I have to set her there to get her to even do that. Otherwise she just lays down all the time. In the video you can see that she holds that left leg up and then plops back down to sitting.

Thank you so much. She definitely will stand on her right leg. I have to set her there to get her to even do that. Otherwise she just lays down all the time. In the video you can see that she holds that left leg up and then plops back down to sitting.
Yes. The photo with her wing out is deceiving as it appears she is standing, but its just mid-flop. She does have a serious injury there. I hope some other experts come in with opinions.
Is taking her to a vet an option for you?

Yes. The photo with her wing out is deceiving as it appears she is standing, but its just mid-flop. She does have a serious injury there. I hope some other experts come in with opinions.
Is taking her to a vet an option for you?
I did post some videos in addition to the photos. I wasn’t sure how to post a video at first. But I’ve figured it out, so the videos were added. I have 1 vet about an hour away and every single time I have taken a bird to them, they tell me to euthanize. Don’t get me wrong, I never want an animal to suffer, but they don’t even try…for anything.

Back
Top Bottom